Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HIDs or not - how do you tell?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 12:48 AM
Default HIDs or not - how do you tell?

I have a 2002 A$ 1.8t. A headlight blew out and I see a lot of threads about HIDs and non HIDs. How do I tell if my car has HIDs and the prospect of really expensive bulbs! Thanks

Old 01-16-2008, 12:50 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: HIDs or not - how do you tell?

i dont know mutch, but you should check for some ballasts near your headlights. that is all i know

Old 01-16-2008, 01:13 AM
1st Gear

take a picture of your bulb and I can tell u if its HID or not

Old 01-16-2008, 01:20 AM

When you turn the headlights on its kind of blue and turns white. Thats the way mine is. Im assuming thats the way they all are if im wrong please correct me[&:]

Old 01-16-2008, 01:32 AM
Zombie Defense Force

^^thats they way i can alwyas tell if they are hid

Old 01-16-2008, 02:18 AM
1st Gear

Check the backs of the headlight housing if you have a yellow high voltage sticker they are HID's. Also when you turn off your headlights if they turn off right away they are HID's if they gradually turn off they are halogenbulbs.........Hope that helped

Old 01-16-2008, 09:19 AM
1st Gear

The yellow "high voltage" sticker is your best bet. If you're a good headlight guy, then you can tell by the color and light intensity of the headlights when they are on. With HID there is a "warm up" period that some can notice.

The HID bulbs from the dealer are expensive but you can order quality phillips replacement bulbs online for well less than $100 if you look around. You can also buy off-branded bulbs for much, much less. If you go the cheap route I would suggest buying two so the colors match.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:48 AM
1st Gear

Pull the bulb. If there's a filament inside the glass housing, it's halogen. If there's no filament, it's HID. checking the bulb is really the best bet. if you don't want to pull the bulb, follow the bulb wires, and if they head to small box (your ballast) close to the headlight (like within 12" of lead) then they are HID. No ballast = Halogen.

- Ryan

Old 01-16-2008, 10:18 AM

Thanks all - super helpful. My daughter will bring the car over and I'll do these checks. BTW I also have a BMW and the forum guys are not nearly as helpful!

Old 01-16-2008, 10:30 AM
2nd Gear

If you have ever seen HIDs it should be easy to tell... when u turn them on, they should be light blue then "warm" up to white light.....they will reflect 100x more on signs and police cars

ballast for OEM hids is under the housing..... metal box thingy

Quick Reply: HIDs or not - how do you tell?