Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID, XENON HELP PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 03:07 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: HID, XENON HELP PLEASE!!

ORIGINAL: 1Move

OK, So right now I have regular beams are Xenons, and High beams are HID's! Correct? I want to completly eliminate HID's and put in xenons!!! So I dont have **** yellow lighting! I like the hyper brite look like the xenons! so do any audi b6's have a xenon only headlight?
Xenon and HID are the same thing. You have halogen projectors currently.That guy at the dealer is a complete idiot telling you that A4's don't have bi-xenon lighting. Bi-xenons use the same beam for the brights and regular low beams. When you engage the high beam, the projector lens angles higher. You want 4300k HIDs(or if you want to call em xenons). I deff. hear ya on the country driving thing. Bi-xenons are great for that and will be a great improvement from the regular HID low beam. I am unsure if you can buy bi-xenons for the B5, or B6, but I have them on my B7 and they are great.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:24 PM
1st Gear

Sorry I have a lot of questions! what I got from all this that the projection light inside the headlamp is the xenon HID, right? and the ones next to those are just plain halogens? I dont know now I havent really paid attention to them until now and I want to replace the halogen ones into xenons basically or HID's as defined by 01A4T

Old 11-22-2007, 03:33 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: 1Move

Sorry I have a lot of questions! what I got from all this that the projection light inside the headlamp is the xenon HID, right? and the ones next to those are just plain halogens? I dont know now I havent really paid attention to them until now and I want to replace the halogen ones into xenons basically or HID's as defined by 01A4T
If you are talking about the stock projectors you have now, the projection light in the projector lense is just made by a halogen bulb, just the same as the high beam next to it. If you are talking about non bi-xenon HIDs, then the low beam projector will emit the HID beam created by the Xenon gas, and the high beam lext to it will be made by a regular halogen bulb. Bi-xenon HIDs are both in the same projector lens, and the high beam is just the low beam angled upwards. I think you may be confused by the whole xenon/HID thing? HIDs and Xenon are actually one in the same. Xenon gas in the bulb creates the HID beam.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:32 PM
3rd Gear

I understand what you mean on not wanting that **** yellow highbeam next to the nice white HID/Xenon low beam bulb. I was thinking about getting another HID kit to do the high beams, but don't know how much good it will do. I think the best thing to do, and I'll probably try this, is to switch the HIDs I have in the low beam now with the high beam halogen H7s and see if the light travels farther and works better. I just think it will probably work great, but end up blinding people coming towards me. I'll see how that works, and I'll probably just put the HIDs back in the low beam and replace the stock highbeamH7 halogens with the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra (~4000Kcolor, mostly bright white, slightly yellow). Theywill beless expensive than another HID kit, and I don't really use the highbeams that often...but when I do, I don't want them to be yellow either

Old 11-23-2007, 10:12 AM
1st Gear

Bogie you have obviously researched this more than I have. Any recomendations on kits etc? procedures, links? let me know! If anyone out there is reading this and has done the same thing can you tell me what you used and how well does it work?

Old 11-23-2007, 10:40 AM
3rd Gear

The compay VVME ( http://www.vvme.com/) sells any kit you need. However, the same company (not a reseller, the same actual company) also sells on ebay underthe seller name flashplus, which has the kit for about $15 cheaper than their main company website. Use paypal, and forget about trying to call them, as their customer service is in China. They have a US phone #, but they only answer if you are one of their retailers (caller ID) and you'll get a voice message telling you that. You can contact themby email, but expect it to be 1-2 days before they respond, and everytime you email them, you need to give them ALL the order information and ALL your information every time. Also, when they email you a confirmation that the order was shipped, it takes about 4 or 5 days for EMS (the shipping company) to update your tracking #. It took 2 weeks for mine to arrive, but yours couldcome quicker, because you are inCanada.
Just follow the directions on their ebay site.They only offer buy it now, noauctions on this.The kitadvertised will be for many differentbulb types, but you actually specify the bulb type and color you want (H7 6000K). Make sure you order thecomplete conversion kitwith ballasts, not justthe bulbs. Color is up to you. I like the 6000K - not very blue and they are plenty bright.You canalsosee thecolor temp comparisons on their main website.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:06 PM

To do what you want to do, you will need an HID conversion kit. Be advised though, that only your low beams have a projector and will give nice light output. Your highbeams are not projectors therefore will spray light all over the place and blind everyone. So if you're really going to use them just for country driving, I suppose that will be ok. If youre going to be passing a lot of oncoming traffic, it would be kind of useless because it takes a bit for the xenons/hids to "warm up," and you would be really blinding everyone in the process.

my 2 cents

Old 11-23-2007, 12:12 PM
3rd Gear

^ that's why I'm probably going with Sylvania Silverstars in the highbeam. It should be abit brighter white than the regular halogenH7s and not so yellow.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:42 PM
1st Gear

I really dont care about others. As bad as that sounds, the road that i use is farely empty at most times so the high beams wouldnt be an issue. but I think I just might go with brighter bulbs for now. It really sucks that they dont have dual lenses like some bmw's do.