Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!!! What's wrong w/ my car???....

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 01:29 AM
2nd Gear
Default HELP!!!! What's wrong w/ my car???....

Okay, I have a 2002 A4 1.8T Quattro w/ the 5-sp manual. It's been giving me a lot of trouble lately, and I'm hoping someone here can help me out

First off, the ESP comes on, goes off and flashes at will. It doesn't matter if I press the button. It comes and goes as it pleases. For no reason. Straight, dry road and it'll just start flashing.

Other problem is the car surging. It's like I'm hitting and then getting off the brakes. It surges really, really bad. Like the power is just cutting out or something.

Also, the car dies every time I stop. If I come up to a stop sign, or park it, it just dies. And it will not run at idle. To keep it running, I have to keep the revs up to near 3K. And to take off w/out stalling, I have to rev it to like 4-4.5K. Also, when it dies, the red battery symbol comes on in the instrument panel. When I get the car restarted, and rev it up, the dome lights get brighter and dimmer, as I give it throttle.

Lastly, sometimes when I shift into gear, it temporarily just loses power for a second. It does it in 1st through 3rd. I'll upshift, and it just has no power and won't accelerate. Then after a second, it makes a loud 'thunking' noise, and the car will begin to accelerate.

I'm totally lost as to what the culprit can be. There's so many problems and side-effects that it seems like more than one thing, but I don't know what would be causing some of the things. The car has brand new spark plugs, coil packs, and battery. Any help in the matter would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanx in advance, and sorry for the long post....

Old 02-02-2008, 01:46 AM
Default RE: HELP!!!! What's wrong w/ my car???....

Have you scanned for codes?

Have you looked under your hood for lines that have popped off?

Old 02-02-2008, 03:33 AM
2nd Gear

^ Haven't had codes scanned yet. No obvious defects or anything under the hood or anywhere else......[>:]

Old 02-02-2008, 09:03 AM
2nd Gear

I'd leave this to a mechanic. Hope you have one you can trust

Old 02-02-2008, 10:34 AM
1st Gear

check crank sensor andthe mass air flow sensor.I had the same issue one time where I would start my car and it would die after like 5 seconds. I had to rev the rpms and hold it so it wouldnt die. Also my battery light would come on too like what you are talkin about. I wasat a stop lightone time and Ihad to and press the gas to rev the RPMS to like 2000just so it wouldnt stall out. It was retarded. I had a new crank sensorinstalled and it was perfect after that. Also I think you need a new mass air flow sensor. From the surge thing you are talkin about...it seems like that is the other culprit. How you can tell you need a new mass air flow sensoris when you boost and then all of a sudden it just cuts power and feels like you just pounded the brake but you really didnt. That is a bad mass air flow sensor for sure. Ive had to replace mine 4 separate times. Finally I had the sensor relocated to a higher part of the air intakebecause before it was on the bottom part ofthe intakeand was gettin caked in water, dirt and hot oil that would just melt the crap out of it. Ok...so with that being said, I HIGHLY HIGHLYrecommend you replace the Crank and MAF sensor. Now both sensors will probably run you 200 bucks a piece, NOT including labor so you are probably looking at spending around 600-700 dollars after all is said and done. As far as your other issues with the ASP and the "thunking" noise, I am clueless. Hope this info helps!!

Old 02-02-2008, 05:11 PM
2nd Gear

ECU maybe?

I didn't read the full thing, but the Flashing of the EPC light is due to a bad "flash" on the ECU from what ive herd.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:02 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: phitau09

check crank sensor andthe mass air flow sensor.I had the same issue one time where I would start my car and it would die after like 5 seconds. I had to rev the rpms and hold it so it wouldnt die. Also my battery light would come on too like what you are talkin about. I wasat a stop lightone time and Ihad to and press the gas to rev the RPMS to like 2000just so it wouldnt stall out. It was retarded. I had a new crank sensorinstalled and it was perfect after that. Also I think you need a new mass air flow sensor. From the surge thing you are talkin about...it seems like that is the other culprit. How you can tell you need a new mass air flow sensoris when you boost and then all of a sudden it just cuts power and feels like you just pounded the brake but you really didnt. That is a bad mass air flow sensor for sure. Ive had to replace mine 4 separate times. Finally I had the sensor relocated to a higher part of the air intakebecause before it was on the bottom part ofthe intakeand was gettin caked in water, dirt and hot oil that would just melt the crap out of it. Ok...so with that being said, I HIGHLY HIGHLYrecommend you replace the Crank and MAF sensor. Now both sensors will probably run you 200 bucks a piece, NOT including labor so you are probably looking at spending around 600-700 dollars after all is said and done. As far as your other issues with the ASP and the "thunking" noise, I am clueless. Hope this info helps!!

Awesome man!!!!! Thanks so much. It's def a start and something I now KNOW to have checked out. Thanx.....

Old 02-02-2008, 06:03 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: 01AudiA4

ECU maybe?

I didn't read the full thing, but the Flashing of the EPC light is due to a bad "flash" on the ECU from what ive herd.

Would disconnecting the battery help any????

Old 02-02-2008, 10:12 PM
2nd Gear

^^ It wouldn't hurt.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:16 AM
2nd Gear

Sweet, yeah, I thought it might help a little. I'll try it out.

I'm so disappointed w/ this car. I've nothing but trouble w/ it since the day I bought it.....[&o]

Quick Reply: HELP!!!! What's wrong w/ my car???....