Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help! Timing belt etc

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 02:54 PM
1st Gear
Default help! Timing belt etc

hello everyone

i'ma new owner of a 2001 A4 1.8T quattro with 88K. ive had it for about 6 days and today when going over the car, i opened up the timing cover to check on the belt and it has some cracks through it and looks terrible. right now the car is in owings mills, maryland at a family members house and i'm not sure where to take it to get it changed. i'm afriad to drive it back to west virginia for fear i may snap the belt and ruin the motor. i found that FCP sells the complete timing belt kit (belt, waterpump, seals, thermostat, etc) for $249 shipped. is that a good price? does anyone know any place i could take the car to get the belt changed somewhere in the baltimore area? any idea on the labor costs? i hope i didnt make a bad choice buying this car!

thanks for any help/info i really appreciate it

Old 11-25-2007, 03:07 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: help! Timing belt etc

yes that is a good price. and very smart on not driving the car. i guess u just have to bite the bullet if u don't kno any reputable mechanics in that area. the changed should be very hard, just a huge PITA. most people are being charge about 600 or so for labor. and buying the car was a good choice but not finding out more about the car before u signed was a bad choice.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:26 PM
Administrator
Default RE: help! Timing belt etc

Hopefully some of the Baltimore area members can recommend a shop for you, or maybe they'd pitch in to help if you spring for beer and pizza?

Old 11-25-2007, 05:18 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: help!

I would most def do that. I was looking at the DIY to the timing belt change and it doesnt look like any one step is particularly hard just seems very tedious and time consuming. I think I'm capable of doing it but this is my first Audi and I'm a bit nervous to go it alone! Anyone near WV or Baltimore / DC / PA /etcand willing to lend a watchful eye during my timing belt change? I'll gladly pay for your gas/time/etc, provide good food/drinks, and hopefully good company, lol! I'm ordering the timing belt kit overnight delivery tomorrow morning from FCP in Groton, $225 shipped for everything.

I'm just parking my Audi for now, so if anyone is kind enough to help please let know or just call/txt 304.906.6610

Thanks!! Chris