Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP...rodents eating wires!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 06:59 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: HELP...rodents eating wires!!!

Slim.... u beat me 2 the first joke, lol.

Old 09-16-2004, 08:46 PM
2nd Gear

I'd start by demanding the old parts back. Then I'd go buy a pellet gun, some rat traps, peanut butter, a twelve pack and head back to the airport for a few hours. Seriously though, I'd question whether it was actually the oil sending unit in the first place. There is well documented oil sludge problem with the 1.8t and I's be inclined to think your problem may have nothing to do with the sensor they replaced. Give us an update.

Old 09-16-2004, 09:28 PM

Or you could keep a cat under your hood. right near the exhaust manifold is a good place to sit. [sm=icon_flaming.gif][sm=icon_flaming.gif][sm=icon_flaming.gif][sm=icon_flaming.gif]

Old 09-16-2004, 11:00 PM

Well, I'm really not surprised that most of the replies were in the humerous note. I guess this story is rather comical...unless you are the victim. Unfortunately, at the moment, I'm the poor jerk who is out the hundreds of dollars. The dealer has virtually turned his nose up at me...says "tough luck". He says he'll get me an audience with the Audi rep in a couple of weeks since he's out of the country. If there's an Audi manager or rep of some kind in the forum who reads this, I'd really appreciate some assistance. I may sound calm in this message, but I'm very p/o'd. I truly believe that this situation goes beyond absurdity...I bought this car with a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty believing that my costs would be minimal. Being responsible for this kind of design flaw is ridiculous. Tell me...do all Audi owners live in the city and park in garages which are sealed from outside elements? No one lives in the country and parks their A-4 outside? Please, if anyone can help, I'd really appreciate an email. Thanks........

Old 09-17-2004, 12:40 AM
4th Gear

Well, you can hardly expect Audi to cover something that isn't their fault. If mice or rats are truly eating the wires, well, it does occasionally happen.

I wouldn't expect Audi to fix my headlights because I live in a rough neighbourhood, park my car outside and someone keeps smashing them. Using your logic, shouldn't Audi make cars with unbreakable parts because not everyone lives in a safe neighbourhood and has a garage? How about unscratchable paint to prevent my car from getting "keyed"?

However, it is highly ulikely that the wires were eaten twice, unless you actually have mice living in the engine, which is unusual unless the car is abandoned.

The real question is what exactly is wrong with the car... did you see the chewed wires the first or second time? Are there mouse droppings in the engine compartment?

Or did they just not fix the problem the first time.

Old 09-17-2004, 01:25 AM

Why are you guys so quick to assume the dealer is lying? How could the dealer **POSSIBLY** benefit from telling such a whopper of a story like that, if it weren't true? Doesn't add up at all. Certainly if the dealer were lying, he could come up with a more believable story than that. And again, WHY would they lie about it in the first place? Absolutely nothing to gain.

Consider the possibilities: http://www.eco-action.org/dod/no7/33-34.html

"Thousands of motorists across Switzerland, Austria and West Germany are now waking up to find their vehicles 'martenised' - with the ignition cables and coolant hoses gnawed so badly [by stone martens] that the car won't start. In the first nine months of 1988, more than 3,000 Swiss drivers filed a quarter of a million pounds worth of insurance claims relating to such damage. In April of the same year, in West Germany, a lone stone marten went on the rampage in a Munich car park and damaged 100 cars in a single night. And according to Audi, 10,000 of its customers are victimised annually."

I don't know what the hell a "stone marten" is, but it's obviously some sort of rodent.

Old 09-17-2004, 04:16 AM
3rd Gear

Dude I thought that was a rock band "The Stone Martens"

Tziod I know this is serious to you and you probly dont think my jokes are funny (which of course they are) but the reality of the situation is that audi is not going to pay for your rodent problem. The only thing I could think of is to have them put some kind of sheathing on the wires.

**** happens man deal with it in the last four months Ive had $4000 worth of damage done to my car of course insurance paid for it less $600 worth of deductables. **** I even had a squirrel get trapped in my car via open sun roof...still smells like squirrel spunk in there

Old 09-17-2004, 11:13 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: david9999

Well, you can hardly expect Audi to cover something that isn't their fault. If mice or rats are truly eating the wires, well, it does occasionally happen.

I wouldn't expect Audi to fix my headlights because I live in a rough neighbourhood, park my car outside and someone keeps smashing them. Using your logic, shouldn't Audi make cars with unbreakable parts because not everyone lives in a safe neighbourhood and has a garage? How about unscratchable paint to prevent my car from getting "keyed"?

However, it is highly ulikely that the wires were eaten twice, unless you actually have mice living in the engine, which is unusual unless the car is abandoned.

The real question is what exactly is wrong with the car... did you see the chewed wires the first or second time? Are there mouse droppings in the engine compartment?

Or did they just not fix the problem the first time.

the rats could not possibly live in the engine compartment, extremely too much heat..

Old 09-17-2004, 11:47 AM
1st Gear

Stone Martens are in the weasel family. They may have something in common with some mechanics, perhaps the ones that fixed your car.
I hope you get these problems cleared up because I feel sorry for you it was the reasons for all the wire problems.

Old 09-18-2004, 10:41 AM
6th Gear

Look Tzoid, you need to take your car to another mechanic and get a second opinion. I think you're getting taken for a ride.

Quick Reply: HELP...rodents eating wires!!!