Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP...rodents eating wires!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 12:56 AM
Default HELP...rodents eating wires!!!

OK, now this story is unbelieveable, but please tell me if you've heard of it before. I parked my 2002 A-4 at the Denver Airport 3 weeks ago for 3 days. When I came back, my oil pressure light went on when I started it. I immediately drove to the dealer, where after inspection, he said a rodent had climbed into the engine compartment and chewed thru the oil pressure sending unit and wire. Bill to fix was $400. Last weekend (2 weeks later) I again parked at the same airport, was out of town less than 3 days, came back and started the car, BINGO, the same oil pressure light came on. Again went to the dealer and he said a rodent again had chewed thru the new oil pressure wire and sending unit. I said that's absolutely impossible and he said it is a COMMON PROBLEM with A-4's at the Denver Airport and has fixed well over a hundred of them in the last 6 to 12 months. He also stated that Audi knows of the problem but refuses to take any responsibility for it. Is this complete B.S. or is anyone else aware of this problem? Please help...it's cost me $800 in less than a month! Thanks....

Old 09-16-2004, 01:13 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: HELP...rodents eating wires!!!

Welcome to the forum tzoid!

This is a great site. We keep the dialogue friendly and the attitude positive. The info is well received by all and we are here to help anyone with questions about their Audi or related subjects. It is a great site to find camaraderie with other "Audiphiles", too. I hope you find it to your liking.

If you're not familiar with this forum and the vocabulary, please click HERE or you can, at any time, go to the "New Member Welcome Area" forum and click on the "START HERE!" post at the top of the forum. There you will find a forum vocab list, an Audi forum terminology list and an Audi lexicon list. They should be very helpful to you if you're not familiar with the jargon.

Please feel free to ask any question, but double check the archives first. Many questions have been archived and, quite often, the answers are comprehensive.

If you want to notify us about a personal problem with the site or file a complaint about a particular member, please feel free to PM the Admin, me, or any other moderator. We will keep your PM confidential and respond as soon as possible. Otherwise, please feel free to post public messages about the forum on the "Forum Issues" forum (found at the bottom of the main menu). It is there that we prefer you "test" your sig, too.

We all welcome you and hope you find this sight informative and enjoyable.
================================================== ====================================
Sounds to me like the beginning of a good urban legend. I'd ask the Audi tech to show you the damage and I'd also ask the airport what their rodent problems are like.

Old 09-16-2004, 01:18 AM
4th Gear

highly unlikely that a rodent would chew through the same exact connection twice.

Perhaps it should be covered by the Audi rod(ent) side warranty

Old 09-16-2004, 01:27 AM
6th Gear

lol If this story IS true, then you need to find a new mechanic and have him verify this. There will be evidence of new wiring. His story sounds terribly far fetched. I hear the BS alarm going off.

Old 09-16-2004, 02:45 AM
3rd Gear

I have a solution for you.... Next time you go to the airport bring extra sending units and sprinkle them around the car maybe hell get full before he gets to the car...

Old 09-16-2004, 03:11 AM
3rd Gear

[sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 09-16-2004, 03:35 AM
1st Gear

wow dealer blows nuts... had the same job done (sender and wire) done for much less than that

they did that, fixed my oil dipstick tube, inspected my car, aaaaaaand did a synthetic oil change for 250...

i had it done by another mechanic. using audi parts...

Old 09-16-2004, 08:56 AM
6th Gear

Damn chris, why didn't I think of that!

Old 09-16-2004, 11:31 AM
1st Gear

I just caught a couple of mouse in my garage this morning. I better get some sending units and sprinkle it around my car.
I wonder if the cables are candy flavored covered?

Old 09-16-2004, 06:25 PM
3rd Gear

Well it takes genius to come up with valid solutions these days... its hard but hey someone has to do it [sm=icon_blah.gif]

Quick Reply: HELP...rodents eating wires!!!