Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please... lock/unlock wire location & color

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 07:32 PM
Default Help please... lock/unlock wire location & color

I'm in the process of installing a remote starter that has lock/unlock on the remote. The remote that came with my car looked like the previous owner's dog chewed it up. Anyway, I've got the remote start portion hooked up, but need help locating the lock/unlock wires that are presumably in the driver's kick pannel.

According to the wiring guide sent to me from the tech at ultrastarters, it lists the following wires, located in the driver's kick pannel:

LOCK - GRAY/WHITE
UNLOCK - RED/BROWN

There is a huge cluster of wires & connectors behind the driver's kick pannel, and I found both of these wires next to each other on 1 connector. After connecting the unit to these 2 wires, I found out that this information is incorrect. I even pulled that plug those wires are located in and the locks still worked, proving they are not the wires I'm looking for.

According to my wiring guide, these wires require a (-) pulse to operate the lock, and a double (-) pulse for unlock. The first pulse disarms the alarm, the second pulse unlocks the doors.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Old 09-20-2004, 12:21 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Help please... lock/unlock wire location & color

What year? It's been a while since I did a remote start, and I've never done a "A" series. I would pull the drivers side door switch and put a probe to the wires while locking and unlocking the doors. Meter it and see what it does.

Old 09-20-2004, 09:46 PM

I can't believe I didn't even put the year. I woudl have flamed someone for that.

Anyway, it's a 1997. I ended up finding which connector harness it was (top rear-most connector behind the driver's kick pannel). Couldn't get my remote to respond though, even after trying all the wires in that connector block. Should have worked. According to Ultrastarter's website, I shouldn't need any auxillary relay controls or anything like that. Just hit it with the (-) pulse out of the unit.

Old 11-28-2005, 05:55 PM

Apparantly
"This Car Requires 2 Negative Pulses (On BROWN/GREEN) To Unlock Doors."

Could you get the doors to work? What did you use?

----------------------
A6-1996
Need to install a remote starter + door lock [DIY]!
----------------------