Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help no oil pressure in gearbox a4 automatic

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 08:48 PM
Default help no oil pressure in gearbox a4 automatic

hi there,
I have a 2003 Audi a4 convertible, 1.8 turbo automatic/multitronic transmition. I have bought the car approximately one and half years ago and I have had the occasional problem when after putting into reverse gear the car would jolt - there was no smooth movement it was "like suddenly letting the clutch off on manual car" .I did not do anything about it as it did not happen very often. Three weeks ago after starting the engine I have put the gear in drive and very slowly pressed throttle and after taking off slowly car had started jerking few times (quite severely) and than continued smooth drive. That has happened few times in three weeks until on Sunday it completely stopped moving. It has jerked few times and on next junction after stopping I have pushed accelerator slowly and car has lost power it was revving high but moving very slowly for ten yards. I have stopped again and after that car would not move anymore in any gear automatic or multitronic. and all lights, which light to tell you in what gear are you in, have been light showing that it is in all gears. I have been told that there is no oil pressure in gearbox. please help if anybody knows anything about this problem.
kind regards
venja

Old 09-21-2006, 12:47 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: help no oil pressure in gearbox a4 automatic

your tranny is in limp mode. It could be as simple as a dirty connection, or as complicated as faulty internal parts. First thing I would do is get under there and visually inspect any electrical connections and then replace the fluid/filter. Thats the cheapest way to go about troubleshooting yourself. Might also want to get your ECU scanned for fault codes that the TCU may have triggered. Actually, that would be the first thing i would do. Those 3 things are about all you can do by yourself without paying out the nose to have a pro take a more "in depth" look.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:49 AM

HI There ...
I am also experiencing the same problem on my A4 1.8T. I was told the whole gearbox will need to be replaced. I have already tried replacing the input shaft assembly, but it did not inprove a wee bit.

Anyway, looking forward to your future post on any remedy to this problem.

Cheers Mate

Old 11-01-2006, 09:10 AM
4th Gear

Follow the above advice. Have someone with a VAGcom check for codes. It could be that the transmission control unit is faulty. Much cheaper than replacing the entire transmission.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:09 AM

ORIGINAL: david9999

Follow the above advice. Have someone with a VAGcom check for codes. It could be that the transmission control unit is faulty. Much cheaper than replacing the entire transmission.
Hi There,
The VAGcom has been used to scan for fault codes. But guess what ??? NO FAULT CODE !!!

So what can be the problem ??

Mine is actually worst off than drjacim's. My ride will always thump before moving off from stationary. If the gas pedal has been released before 10km/hr or below, and upon applying pressure on the gas pedal again, the jerk will come back before the car accelerates normally. I will always have to apply the gas pressure gently or else the jerk will be horrendous - as if the car has been knocked from behind.

It seemed to me there is a lost in pressure within the gearbox itself. The pressure build-up does not correspond to the gas pressure applied. The car will just surged forward suddenly when the pressure 'returns' and it appreared to me that clutch plates just rubbed onto one another abruptly when in contact as the pressure regains.

Also, just when the car moves off from stationary, you will have to let the car roll off by itself before stepping onto the gas pedal gradually/lightly, otherwise, the thump will be more severe.

Sometimes when the gas pedal is depressed gradually moving off from a standstill (say travelling at less than 10km/hr), the speed of the car will remain the same whilst the techometer needle will increase its rpm. When it reaches a point of 'equilabrium' .. the car will thump again before the car speed increases and the rev drops. Everytime will be back to normal for subsequent higher gear shift.

The strange thing is that the jerk will only take place on the 1st jerk itself. Subsequent gear shift is smooth.

So can anyone here gives me some pointers as to where the possible fault lies in. Changing a brand new gearbox is way too costly.

Appreciate all inputs.

Cheers