Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!!! Need help with minor maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 07:17 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: HELP!!!! Need help with minor maintenance

ORIGINAL: acetrebo

P1545
Throttle Pos.Contr Malfunction

Man, I tried searching this, found a few in depth threads, But......

Start here: Take the hose of from the SMIC to the throttle body intake.

Clean it out real good if its dirty, make sure the butterfly valve is opening and closing freely.

This code is realted to the sensor that reads how much throttle is being requested, IE how hard you're pressing the gas pedal.

For some reason, either the valve is not opening up (check the throttle cable itself and make sure it is working by watching while someone steps on the gas pedal) or the sensor is bad, or the wiring harness is corroded and has a bad connection.

Here's a similar thread: https://www.audiforums.com/m_347337/tm.htm

What I would try, is
1. undo battery cable
2. clean out throttle body. Make sure flap is closed.
3. pull electrical cable off the sensor, look for corrosion, clean.
4. hook battery back up.
5. try TBA if applicable (I dont think it is for you, 98, but not 100% sure). All you have to do is turn key to assesory position for a couple minutes.)
6. Then start it, see what happens. If a code comes back then, and you still have the same problem, I would guess that the sensor is bad and needs replaced.

I hope this helps you out, and good luck. Let us know if this fixes it, or whatever does fix it.

I'm thankful for your wise suggestions. I will definatly try them out. I did the searching and yes...there are a million threads out there and NONE of them are complete with solutions. When I finally get to the solution to this one. I'm going to make sure that I post it up. I do have the AEB engine. I dont know if having DBW is good or bad but i don't have DBW. Is it expensive to replace the sensor?

Old 11-17-2006, 07:34 PM
4th Gear

Well, I am not finding the sensor alone, did not look too hard.

To replace the whole throttle body is like $380, but I wouldn't think it needs that. Try the stuff I said, and see what happens. You may get lucky.

If not, post back here after trying, we'll see if you are still getting a code after the battery disconnect, and go from there.

NDBW is prefferred by most of us here, as it has better response, and works better for tuning purposes.

Good luck!

Old 11-22-2006, 01:35 AM
1st Gear

well i buckled down and sent the car to the shop on monday, they are still workin on it and i should have sometype of idea what the problem was tomorrow....he estamated 500 so far.

Old 11-22-2006, 03:50 AM
4th Gear

Ouch.. I hate mechanics

Old 11-22-2006, 04:47 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: justinxecushyn

well i buckled down and sent the car to the shop on monday, they are still workin on it and i should have sometype of idea what the problem was tomorrow....he estamated 500 so far.

I am curious to see what they find. My best guess at this point would be the throttle body, but hopefully its simpler than that. Anyway, let us know the damage.

Old 11-22-2006, 06:14 PM
1st Gear

Total: 759.59
Towing Bill: 110.
Throttle body (Part): 496.62
Gasket: $3
2 hrs labor (align the throttle body)

Well there is what the cost of it is. They told me that it was the throttle body...they haven't completed it yet but it will be done soon. I "thinking" about doing GIAC while its there...

Old 11-22-2006, 06:22 PM
4th Gear

Damn Im good.

Well, a little steep, but not outrageaous.

Do the Giac, you wont be sorry. You will think you are driving a whole different car, its such a huge difference. Might as well while its in there......maybe they'll cut you a break since you're having other work done.

Well there is what the cost of it is. They told me that it was the throttle body...they haven't completed it yet but it will be done soon. I "thinking" about doing GIAC while its there...

Old 11-22-2006, 07:30 PM
1st Gear

Damn Im good.

Well, a little steep, but not outrageaous.

Do the Giac, you wont be sorry. You will think you are driving a whole different car, its such a huge difference. Might as well while its in there......maybe they'll cut you a break since you're having other work done.

lol yea i have to hand it to you you were right. I'm really thinking of getting the GIAC done. I dont want to be disappointed though like get my hopes up and then its not what i thought...how much of a right away difference will i notice, i've done some research and i know i want GIAC as opposed to APR and others.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:37 PM
4th Gear

All the chips are fairly close.

Go with one that a shop you trust can provide. I.E., if the shop you are using does giac, and you feel comfortable with them, go with giac.

You'll get near a 50 CHP gain from any of these chips. It really is a huge difference, the most gain you will get from any mod short of a bigger turbo.

If you chip, you want to do a DV at the same time, because the higher boost will wear out the stock dv.

So, chip that thing, and try not to get too many speeding tickets! That is the biggest problem with the chip, it makes you want to drive faster!

Old 11-22-2006, 08:10 PM
1st Gear

All the chips are fairly close.

Go with one that a shop you trust can provide. I.E., if the shop you are using does giac, and you feel comfortable with them, go with giac.

You'll get near a 50 CHP gain from any of these chips. It really is a huge difference, the most gain you will get from any mod short of a bigger turbo.

If you chip, you want to do a DV at the same time, because the higher boost will wear out the stock dv.

So, chip that thing, and try not to get too many speeding tickets! That is the biggest problem with the chip, it makes you want to drive faster!
luckally my car came with a gfb hybrid, but i'm planning on swapping it out with someone for a forge. i think my steps are going to be, chip, suspension work, possibly a turbo intake pipe just so i can have a loud spooling sound, kinda like driving quiet so i dont know about exhaust. i really want a navi system in there but my dash is single din and i dont want to loose any features. Wheels are a MUST upgrade. something 17-18 black with polish lip...i can't think of much from there i want to have a fast--er car but its going to be my daily driver for a while so i dont need a 300+hp car even though 300 hp would be great. 200-250 is just fine with me. i love having ricers...little civics and integras pull up next to me and try to run esp on the hwy...they ahve no chance. the best one i have done was a 5th gear pull on a integra, he dropped gears and had a nice little leap on me but then i walked upon him and he couldn't catch up...2.5 car length on him.

Quick Reply: HELP!!!! Need help with minor maintenance