Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me with my 98 A4 2.8 Tiptronic Trasmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 06:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Help me with my 98 A4 2.8 Tiptronic Trasmission

The car has 136k miles. Whenever I start the car andruns between20 mph to 30 mph, I can feel an obvious body shake. Then everything is ok once it runs above 35 mph. I guess my transmission got some kind of problem when it goes from 2nd to 3nd gear.

To solve this problem, Ireplace the trannyfluid and replaced the tranny filter. But the problem stills there.

Can somebody give me some instruction about my transmission?Thanks.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Default RE: Help me with my 98 A4 2.8 Tiptronic Trasmission

Try replacing your transmission mounts; they're probably worn out.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:03 PM
1st Gear

if tranny mount worn out, my a4 should "shake" whenever it shifts. But my case is the car shakes only when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear. That's why I cast doubt on tranny mount wearing out.

I tried to find two Mechanics. Both of them didn't think there was any problem with tranny mount. They all declined to check it. My gosh.

My question is what's the difference of shake between results from tranny and tranny mont's wearing out.

Thanks.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:22 PM

Your mechanics declined to check it? You should really find new mechanics.

Do you have a tiptronic transmission? You didn't specify.

When transmission mounts are bad or going bad, you will generally feel a vibration under your floor boards and under your butt. You may even hear clunking if it's really bad. If it's a localized problem with the transmission itself, you will probably feel it (and possibly hear it) in the shifter **** area.But that's not a 100% guarantee that something in the transmission itself isn't causing the car to shake.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:44 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for urtimelyreply. Ithink youmust beanexpert on transmision since you describe the problems of transmission vividly.

Those mechanics had confidence in themselves too much. That's why they don't think itdeserve to do it. I would find someone else to check it anyway.

I have tiptronic tranny.I feel the whole car body jerk when it runs around 20 mph, sir. I am scared at change for a new tranny, you know. My question is why it would not jerk as well when it runs above 40 mph. It runs beautifully on 60/70/80 mph. Everything is fine. Why?

Old 07-12-2007, 08:25 PM

I'm not a transmission expert, but i play one on TV.

Let's dig a little deeper with your problem. When you say it shakes when shifting from 2nd to 3rd, i'm assuming it is doing it while you're driving it in normal "automatic" mode and letting the car shift itself. Have you tried driving it in "tip" mode to see if it does the same thing; when manually shifting from 2nd to 3rd? When you are driving in normal mode, and you stomp the gas pedal and hit the "passing gear", does the car have a tendency to shimmy? Like it's about to fall apart?

2nd and 3rd gears have a little more torque behind them, so if the car shakes (or shimmy's) when shifting from, or into, those gears, then my guess is that it's your mounts. I'm really not a qualified mechanic, but that is my best educated guess as to what your problem is. Take it to a 'real' shop and have them look at it.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:33 PM
1st Gear

It's amazing thatit seems as ifyoulived in this forum. Whenever I log in, you are always online. Thank you for your elegant words for me and for others. I show my respectfor you.

You are right. Generally, I drive in normal auto mode. I will try in tip mode this afternoon. And I will have tranny mount checked. ThenI will tell you what's going on with my car.

Have a nice weekend, sir.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:49 PM
1st Gear

Sir A4 Effort,

First of all,I am sorry that I don't reply timely cos I was on vocation.Today I went to auto shop and askedsomemechanic to check my car. Unfortunately, the tranny mount is ok.

When I gentally accelerate it, my car can smoothly or descently gear up from 1 to 4th. But once I accelerate it very hard, it will give me a whole body shake forward when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. The rmp goes very high about 4500. Iguess the trannymustslip at that time and doesn't gear up in time, that's why the car shakes very rudely.

I have no idea about my car. :-(

Thanks.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:40 PM
4th Gear

The first thing to do is find a mechanic which specialized in VW and Audi.

He should take it for a drive so that he can experience what your are feeling.

He should hook up a VAGcom and check the transmission and run the VAGcom diagnostic tests on the solenoids. He should also check the fluid level in the tranny.

Where are you located. From your writing style it does not appear that you are located in the US.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:13 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for uradvices. I will try to follow them.

Would you please give me ur guess based on what I describe about my A4 here?

I lives in AZ. But not born in US. Is my writing so bad or strange?

Quick Reply: Help me with my 98 A4 2.8 Tiptronic Trasmission