Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Loud Tapping From Engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 09:27 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: HELP! Loud Tapping From Engine

ORIGINAL: ak audi

Whats the updated larger oil filter? I looked at the one they put in and it looked like a regular FRAM filter.
EEWW!!! NO FRAM!! EVER!!! The oem updated filter is larger to reduce oil sludging through better circulation.. That and using fully synthetic oil is the "remedy" to reducing/eliminating sludge problems the 1.8t had. Available at the dealer or websites in bulk if you want. I think its $13 at the dealer..

Old 05-26-2006, 09:30 PM
4th Gear

There is no dip stick for the transmission, it's sealed.

Old 05-26-2006, 09:55 PM
1st Gear

How do you check the tranny fluid if its sealed. The reason I'm asking is because there is a very small tranny fliud leak coming from the bottowm (leaves a small spot on the driveway). This is unrelated to the tapping noise.

Old 05-27-2006, 02:07 AM
1st Gear

I'm having similar problems as you AK. Mine sounds like a diesel truck and idles really rough when you start the car until you rev it, and then is smooth. And then when I rev thru 1st, it makes the noise again like a loose heat shield. I brought it to the guys at RennArt a few days ago, and they said it was a bad Cam Chain Tensioner... just like everybody is saying about yours. Then I went to an Audi stealership to get a quote on parts and for everything and it came to about $500 in PARTS ALONE. Luckily I'm doing the job myself... does anyone have a write up on how to change the cam chain tensioner???

Old 05-31-2006, 08:28 PM
1st Gear

UPDATE. I just talked to the auto shop and its the Cam Tensioner. $500.00 for parts + $500.00 for labor! I don't have that kind of money and they said it wouldn't hurt to drive it that way for a while so I'll be putting this off for a few months at least. The noise isn't as loud as before the oil change and when I drove over to the garage it didn't make any noise at all.