Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Loud Tapping From Engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 02:35 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: HELP! Loud Tapping From Engine

ORIGINAL: ak audi

I've had the car for 2 months. A CarFax report is supposed to be faxed to me this morning. I'm at work right now and didn't drive the Audi. Will work on the sound clip as soon as I get home.
Yeah get a sound clip asap.. Do you have engine performance loss/rough idle?? Try to do some Magnum PI **** and somehow find out the previous owner(s) contact info and find out what work has been done to it to their knowledge. If its been a local car that you know of, id try calling around to some dealerships and give them your vin # to find out if any maint. has been done there... It would suck to find out that the Tbelt snappped at some point and the noise you hear is a bent valve(s) on the head.. Not trying to scare you, but ive seen it happen.... Its probably the cam tensioner/chain though. If you had bent valves your car would probably run like ***.

Old 05-26-2006, 02:44 PM
1st Gear

No loss of power and no rough idle, it zips right along just like it did prior to the noise. The guy that's faxing the report to me did remember the car was originally bought in Connecticut.

Old 05-26-2006, 02:57 PM

if someone put the wrong oil in like mixing standard with full synthetic the hydraulics would play tunes, do an oil and filter change and use semi synthetic which can be mixed if need be

Old 05-26-2006, 02:59 PM

5W/30 recommended

Old 05-26-2006, 03:02 PM
1st Gear

I had an oild change yesterday, the only synthetic they had was 0-40W. Should I do another oil change with 5-30W? Does anyone know how/where to check the tranny fluid? The guy at the garage couldn't even find it.

Old 05-26-2006, 03:02 PM
5th Gear

there can't be too many dealerships in connecticut, contact them and see if you can locate a previous owner. you should really try to find as much info as possible about the maintenance of this car...even if your t-belt was replaced once, you may be coming up on your second tb change. the carfax report will help you track the car's history, hopefully that'll give you a lead or two for finding a previous owner. the tb change is not difficult, just time consuming. i've never seen a rear tensioner job done so i can't comment on that, but that definitely sounds like your noise problem.

Old 05-26-2006, 03:05 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: ak audi

I had an oild change yesterday, the only synthetic they had was 0-40W. Should I do another oil change with 5-30W? Does anyone know how/where to check the tranny fluid? The guy at the garage couldn't even find it.
is the garage a euro shop? if not, i highly suggest taking it somewhere else. audis/vws are very different from domestic/jap import cars, if your mechanic isn't familiar with them that could cause some major issues down the road.

Old 05-26-2006, 03:05 PM
Site Moderator

Fully synthetic oil is what VW/Audi recomends for the 1.8t to keep it from sludging up. and you are using the updating larger oil filter correct??

Old 05-26-2006, 03:10 PM

0W/40 is extremely cool if full syth but remember ( dont mix it with cheaper oils ) I doubt its the transmission

Old 05-26-2006, 09:20 PM
1st Gear

Whats the updated larger oil filter? I looked at the one they put in and it looked like a regular FRAM filter.

Quick Reply: HELP! Loud Tapping From Engine