Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Loud Tapping From Engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 04:50 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: HELP! Loud Tapping From Engine

I have done about 10 of these. With paintance and the right tools you can do it yourself just make sure you put back in CORRECT TIME. Should take anywhere from 3-6 hours depending on skill level.

Old 05-25-2006, 04:51 PM
2nd Gear

the rear tensioner.

Old 05-25-2006, 04:58 PM

change the oil and filter before committing to such big expensive work, stop any oil leaks and the ticking wont be the transmission if the noise is coming from the top of the engine more than likely hydraulic tappets/lifters coming up to pressure

Old 05-25-2006, 05:06 PM
1st Gear

I do have tools unless this takes some kind of specialty type tool? There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of room around the engine area. I guess I need to pick up one of those Chilton repair manuals to see if I can do this myself (hoping).

Are the rear tensioner and the cam tensioner is the same thing? Will the Chilton manual explain how to set the TIME and is a specail tool required?

I'm getting the oil changed right now and got my fingers crossed.

On another note the car does scream, 0 to 50/60 in no time flat and a smooth ride. Looks good too, thought I got a great deal on it.

Old 05-25-2006, 05:18 PM

rear tensioner and the cam belt tensioner no they are not and if you intend doing it your self ensure your ready with the correct data for setting the timing up ( get as much info as you can ) the job is that hard to a tech minded person but if your unsure don't do it your self

Old 05-25-2006, 05:40 PM
1st Gear

It sounds like I need to change the Timing Belt first and then the rear and/or cam tensioner (hoping the oil change helps). Due to the costs these will be done many months apart. I can turn bolts and replace components but this is a little out of my league, I'd hate to get into it and not be able to finish or screw it up worse than it was.

Old 05-25-2006, 05:44 PM

you can do more than you think if you put your mind to it and with all the help these guys will give you could rebuild your car, don't sell your self short and have a little faith in your self we are behind you all the way, do the oil and filter change first

Old 05-25-2006, 06:47 PM
3rd Gear

i didnt feel like reading everyones replies so idk if this has been said, but its gotta be your lifters...its not really a big deal. its called lifter tick and its pretty populoar on DSM's..and even Audis. Try getting some good oil in the car, this will make it a lot more mild, and in some cases, make it go away completely

Old 05-25-2006, 07:23 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: AteUrV8

i didnt feel like reading everyones replies so idk if this has been said, but its gotta be your lifters...its not really a big deal. its called lifter tick and its pretty populoar on DSM's..and even Audis. Try getting some good oil in the car, this will make it a lot more mild, and in some cases, make it go away completely
You should read the posts before you reply angel eyes.

Old 05-25-2006, 07:48 PM
1st Gear

I ordered a CarFax report so hopefully it will show a Timing Belt change recently. I see from the symptoms that it isn't the tranny but can someone tell me where to check the fluid level. I couldn't find the dip stick anywhere?

Quick Reply: HELP! Loud Tapping From Engine