Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Loud Tapping From Engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 02:55 PM
1st Gear
Default HELP! Loud Tapping From Engine

Bought an A4 2 months ago, 2001, 115,000, $11,000.00. It's starting to make a loud tapping noise from the engine area, sounds like its coming from the back of engine. It got very loud, sounded like something was going to give so I shut it down. This morning I started it up and no noise. Drove to work about 4 miles away and right before I got there it starting making the noise again but not as loud as the day before. I'm thinking it would have got progressively louder as I drove it. Any idea what this could be. There's a small oil/trans spot on the driveway were the car sits. Where do you check the transmission fluid? Thanks for any help provided.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:59 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: HELP! Loud Tapping From Engine

If you have a 1.8t, it could be your cam tensioner chain.. Its on the top/back of the valve cover on the firewall side..

Old 05-25-2006, 03:03 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for replying so quick! Do you have any idea what this would cost if that is the problem? Money's real tight right now.

Old 05-25-2006, 03:09 PM
2nd Gear

Depends on if you can do your own work or not. It gets to difficult if you are not inclined the last one I did ran the customer 863 + tax. your local audi stealer is probably well over 1000. At this point you should do a timing belt if not done already as well

Old 05-25-2006, 03:11 PM
Site Moderator

depends.. are you mechanicaly inclined? From what i know, im pretty sure its a few hours of labor-which at the dealer would be at lest $250+ just for labor.. Im sure the parst arent too expensive.. Give the dealer a call and ask them to quote you a price on it for them to do it.. then ask to be connected to the parts department and see what the cost of the part(s) is. I wouldnt go gettng any parts till you are sure thats the problem though.. If you arent sure, at least have a shop diagnose it. Always stay away from the dealer when possible, they rip you off on labor and most parts... Check out some of the audi links here to find the part/price. If pretty positive that the cam tensioner is the problem.. Its sort of common with higher mileage. Mine is a little noisy, but not enough that i can hear it when the hood is closed or inside from the cabin... The tensioner gets worn out and the chain starts slapping the valve cover... i think.. something like that...
You can buy an auto stethoscope to pinpoint the noise too if you want to try and diagnose it without taking everything appart:

available at most auto parts stores for cheap.

Old 05-25-2006, 03:32 PM
1st Gear

Is the cam tensioner belt and timing belt the same thing? I called the Audi dealer and they quoted me $1200.00 for the timing belt. OUCH!!!

Old 05-25-2006, 03:49 PM

ORIGINAL: ak audi

Is the cam tensioner belt and timing belt the same thing? I called the Audi dealer and they quoted me $1200.00 for the timing belt. OUCH!!!
Dont get it done by the stealership. Go to a reputable audi/vw or german auto shop and knock a few hundred off the price.

Old 05-25-2006, 03:55 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: ak audi

They are 2 differnt things on opposite sides of the engine.. The cam tensioner/chain is on the back/top and the T belt is on the front facing your radiator behind the cover. The T belt can be done for maybe $600 at a local shop, you could do it yourself for $around $300 which includes all belts, water pump, thermostat, tensioners.... if you can follow directions and have 8 free hours that is... Its pretty simple but you gotta just have to be careful and have patience. But first tell us about your car...It is a 1.8t correct? miles? year? previous maintnace?

Old 05-25-2006, 04:28 PM
1st Gear

Its a 2001, 1.8t A4 Qattro. I bought it used from a dealer who said they changed the oil prior to selling it (yeah right). I have no idea what kind of previous maintenance was done, it didn't come with any records. It had 115,000 on it when I bought it and now has 17,500. The noise is definately coming from the back top of the engine so it must be the cam tensioner chain. I work right beside a garage so I'm having them do a flush and oil change with synthetic oil. All they had was Mobil 0-40. Just from the location it looks like the cam tensioner would be a more difficult job.

Old 05-25-2006, 04:43 PM
Site Moderator

Well if you dont know if the T belt has been done, your best off to just do it.. Its either that or $3000+ for an engine rebuild if it breaks.. Though you do have the updated T belt tensioner, so that is good.. But regardless of that, it should be done for peace of mind.. You would hope that the previous owner(s) took good enough care of it and the T belt was done on schedual along with the water pump etc... Id be more worried about the T belt cuz if that breaks your engine breaks.. not so with the cam tensioner.. even though its probably really annoying to listen to it.. If you can do both.. great... At least try to to the work yourself..Do you have tools?

Quick Reply: HELP! Loud Tapping From Engine