Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Intercooler Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 05:29 PM
1st Gear
Default Help! Intercooler Question

I installed a FMIC with 3" piping and checked everything, no leaks DV is sealed and evertything is done right but car wont start! does upgrading the intercooler afect the ECU ? or could it be something else like the cam shaft sensor( i replaced it as i was doing the FMIC) PLEASE HELP!!

Old 01-22-2007, 05:39 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Help! Intercooler Question

Any codes?

Check the cam sensor then pull the neg. batt. for a few minutes and try again. Not sure that this will help but worth a try.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:41 PM
1st Gear

tried disconnecting the battery but havent checked the cam sensor, almost forgot info.

1999 A4 1.8T Quattro

Old 01-22-2007, 05:47 PM
4th Gear

Are there any codes?

Old 01-22-2007, 05:51 PM
1st Gear

Havent checked, car is at Moms and i dont hava a scanner. Is it abnormal forcar not to start if you upgrade the piping?

Old 01-22-2007, 06:08 PM
4th Gear

I would say something is deff. not put back correctly or installed properly. If the cam sensor is not in right that would cause the problem.

Dont hold me to this but i thought someone had a similar problem because they didn't plug something in by the air box.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:12 PM
1st Gear

Checked everything around the airbox, and all other connections. car turns fine but just wont fire up, is the 3" piping OK though? ill check the camsensor again when i get home but if that isnt the case i would like to know if the size in the piping has some type of effect, come on OnePointEightTee, i know you know this one!!!! HELP!!

Old 01-22-2007, 07:45 PM
2nd Gear

3" piping won't cause a no start condition.
Most common reason for no start after an intercoler install is that you have a connection that has come loose. Usually one of the intercooler pipes...this results in little to no air getting to the throttle body.

You didn't mention the year of you car, so if you have a 99 model or earlier, check to make sure you didn't pull anythingloose on the ICM.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Site Moderator

If you have a 2000+ there is a sensor that goes in the stock intercooler and needs transfered to the fmic. If you took that out or if its disconnected it might not start.
97-99.5 have the ICM btw but i doubt thats the problem as its no where near where you were working. The harness for it goes from the top of the airbox-along the firewall-to the ecu.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:51 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

If you have a 2000+ there is a sensor that goes in the stock intercooler and needs transfered to the fmic. If you took that out or if its disconnected it might not start.
That's the boost pressure sensor and it's stock location isright behind the drive side headlight.

The ICM is right on top of the air box. He had to pull the airbox to make up thecharge pipe connections. If he didn't, he must be very flexible.

Quick Reply: Help! Intercooler Question