Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! A few very important questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 04:40 PM
1st Gear
Default HELP! A few very important questions

1. My steering column seems to make this funny tapping noise like its loose almost? WTF could that be?
2. Theres a noise that seems to come from the engine like an extra fan coming on whenever i have a cold start. What could that be?
3. Also the engine is stalling and jumping hard into another gear.
4. Last but certainly not least the mal light comes on and off occasionally and when i got it tested the results were an improper air flow detected. Whatever that is.
HELP! I have a 98 a4 2.8quattro w/105k.

Old 12-03-2005, 12:23 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: HELP! A few very important questions

1. you'll have to be more specific with the steering column noise. when does the noise occur? is it only at low speeds? does it sound like it's coming from the steering wheel area or down in the footwell?

2. are you sure that's not just your engine revving a little high because it's warming up? i don't think our cars have secondary fans but i might be wrong

3. when does it stall? is it always the same gear that has problems? that sounds like it's probably a tranny issue.

4. next time you scan the car, write the fault code down and post it up here.

sorry i'm not much help, we just need a little more information to help you out. help me help you!

Old 12-03-2005, 08:12 PM
3rd Gear

1. Could be alot of things. First off check your ps fluid. If thats ok you may have to dismatle the column to isolate the noise. Not very difficult to do yourself.

2. Check your secondary air pump and vavles. Both operate only when the engine is cold and could be making more than usual noise.

3 and 4. Check for a vacuum leak. Itcould cause the concerns you describe in both 3 and 4.

Old 12-04-2005, 06:51 PM
1st Gear

OK. working backwards here. sorry i have a very early morning job so I sleep all day and take care of my son at night.
4. THE CODE FOR THE TEST ISo411 secondary air injection system incorrect flow detected.
3.VACUUM? OK GUESS IM GONNA HAVE TO PAY SOMEONE A FORTUNE TO TELL ME WHAT THAT IS AND Y IM GONNA HAVE TO PAY ANOTHER FORTUNE TO FIX IT.
2.dOES THE SECONDARY AIR PUMP HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH PO411?
1. The sound occurs at low speeds. I never hear it when im turning and its ore like a rocking. but yes i do believe its ps fluid

Old 12-04-2005, 07:02 PM

P0411 as you said is secondary air system, check for loose/cracked pipe to the lower side of the intake/inlet

Old 12-04-2005, 07:11 PM
1st Gear

does the vacuum have anything to do with the secondary air injection thingy

Old 12-04-2005, 07:15 PM

sort of, its the same as removing a pipe from the inlet "plenum" causing an air leak, too much air mixture causing engine to run bad or cut out

Old 12-04-2005, 10:13 PM

to put it another way, consider the platinum as a header for the air volume the engine needs to perform correctly, around it there are outlets to various sensors which take there suction from the intake/plenums creating the required vacuum for the sensor, now if the pipe to the sensor was split the sensor would fail also letting excess air into the intake because of the open pipe then in turn it effects the performance of the engine most noticed on idle, so if a larger hose were split or off this would have a major effect on the main air intake pressure causing major vacuum loss if you can understand that

Old 12-04-2005, 10:41 PM
5th Gear

sounds like the noises and the MAL are caused by the same problem. judging by these last couple posts i'm going to say you probably don't have a lot of experience working on cars...don't let a mechanic charge you an arm and a leg to fix a vacuum leak. the majority of the time you can fix it yourself fairly easily (either replacing the rubber hose or patching up a small leak)...pop your hood and see if you can isolate the noise. take your time and just run your fingers up and down the hoses until you feel an air leak. if you dont want to deal with it yourself you can always have a mechanic do it, but like i said, don't let him tell you it's going to be 2 hours labor and 100 dollars in parts. if i had to guess i'd say 1 hour and 20 bucks parts is about right.

Old 12-05-2005, 03:47 PM
1st Gear

OK U GUYS. Youve all enlightened me a little bit and thanx. Im Taking it now and will inform yall of the outcome.