Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP Bottomed out in Snow.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 04:01 PM
1st Gear
Default HELP Bottomed out in Snow.

First problem, my fault.

Ok guys, i guess while i was drifting the other day itapeda huge pack of snow with my drivers side front end....or at least what i thought was snow. Apparantly it must have had some other things lying under. I was looking at my front end because i diddent like this gross little gap between the headlight and the hood and eventually i found a scratch on the front ends bottom plastic guard and that led to me seeing that that same peice had light scratches on it ditectly under the entire length of the guard and then THAT led me to find (hope you can follow) that the plastic guard that lies under the engine compartment that runs from the bumper was HANGING down very close to the road and FILLED with ICE....

I must have bottomed out on the snow, broken the tabs that hold that peice up, and then it must have filled with snow and slush from all the driving i did since.

This is very dangerous becausethe dam thing is loaded with at least 10pounds of ice pushing down on a huge plastic sheet that if it comes off im gonna run it over and kill myslef.

1. I need to know where the jack points are for the 98' 2.8 Quattro Manual so i can get the ice out

2. If the Plastic guard is busted do you think i can rehang it myslef?

3. This happen to any one before?

Old 12-17-2007, 04:03 PM
Default RE: HELP Bottomed out in Snow.

Jack on a control arm or somethin. Jack points lol. Rember heavy duty Zip ties can be your best friend.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:10 PM
1st Gear

well i like me some zip ties but zip tie it to what?

a control arm? isnt it saposed to be a frame point???

Old 12-17-2007, 04:24 PM

ORIGINAL: anmagro

well i like me some zip ties but zip tie it to what?

a control arm? isnt it saposed to be a frame point???
Are u sure it didn't just bend some tabs or somethin? Only way 2 know wat is broken is look. Depends on if your replacing the lower control arm or not. IF you are then obviously you can't jack the one your changing, if not then well you get the idea... Control arm is idiot proof so its what i use as the lil detent of my jack stands form a lil slot for the control arms of cars 2 fit perfect. Also DON'T EVER crawl under a car that is not on jackstands.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:29 PM
Tech Slut

i wouldnt use the control arms to jack it up, the car should have a pinch weld right as the underbody is bending up, jack it from there...

Old 12-17-2007, 04:32 PM
1st Gear

all 4 tires have a spare tire jack spot. its like a tab of metal coming down by each tire.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:33 PM

ORIGINAL: FasterA4ThanUrs

i wouldnt use the control arms to jack it up, the car should have a pinch weld right as the underbody is bending up, jack it from there...
Been doin it since i was 16, all the mechanic buddies i hang out with do it 2. No ill effects and its easy and convient 2 hit up.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:55 PM
2nd Gear

uh if youre talking about the plastic piece that covers the bottom of the engine bay and covers the oilpan and what notjust take that jank off you dont really need it haha

Old 12-17-2007, 06:10 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: bob12312357

ORIGINAL: FasterA4ThanUrs

Been doin it since i was 16, all the mechanic buddies i hang out with do it 2. No ill effects and its easy and convient 2 hit up.
I'm surprised darwinism hasn't kicked in...

Don't jack it by the control arms. Just behind the front wheels theres a spot between the pinch weld and the rest of the underbody that dips up. Put the jack there. Always use jack stands when getting under a car.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:13 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Lebe Frei

uh if youre talking about the plastic piece that covers the bottom of the engine bay and covers the oilpan and what notjust take that jank off you dont really need it haha
+1

Quick Reply: HELP Bottomed out in Snow.