Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help, annoying ticking(not lifters)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 09:03 PM
1st Gear
Default help, annoying ticking(not lifters)

i have a really anoying ticking sound. 99.5 a4 1.8t 101,000 miles. i can only hear it when i let off the throttle.. you know how kids put baseball cards in there bike spokes.. sounds like that but really really fast. it seems like is getting louder and i can't pinpoint it.. i sounds like its coming from around my cat.. wouldn't you hear an exhaust leak while accelerating also and not just when the throttle is off. as long as there is any sort of pressure on the throttle you can't hear it, but as soon as u let off the gas it ticks till the car stops.. and makes no ticking at all at idle or startup. any ideas?

nAsTY

Old 08-17-2007, 09:07 PM
Zombie Defense Force
Default RE: help, annoying ticking(not lifters)

might have a loose bolt somewhere on the exhaust and it rattles on decel. its a shot in the dark but maybe.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:08 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

When was your timing belt done?

Old 08-17-2007, 09:15 PM
1st Gear

timing/waterpump about a month ago.. loose bolt huh.. i like that idea. ya its strang that its only on deceleration.. any other ideas guys. thanks

Old 08-17-2007, 09:15 PM
Zombie Defense Force

any chance a kid put a card in your spokes

Old 08-17-2007, 11:30 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

Did you do the tensioner when you did the timing belt? And a loose bolt makes sense, because the engine under load pulls on the exhaust differently than when it's decelerating.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:19 PM
1st Gear

no didin't do tensioner.. the work was done before i bought it.. i still can't pinpoint it.. i don't feel an exhaust leak and can't find any loose bolts..also seems like its getting louder now.. might borrow a webcam or soemthing to try and get a video for you guys.. i've watched tons of "audi ticking vids" and cant't find a similar sound.. cause its only on decel.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:34 PM
1st Gear

check ur boost if u can. it can possibly be ur turbo wastegate if you said it happens on deceleration. doesnt get a seal and just rattles around. happened to me and i had to get a whole new turbo :-(

Old 08-19-2007, 08:35 PM

the timing belt tensioner is said to make a strange ticking noise when it's about to let go... I think that's why cyber is asking if the tensioner was replaced when the t-belt was done. if it's getting louder I'd stop driving the car if I were you, if that tensioner decides to kick the bucket your timing belt will snap no matter how new it is, and that's an expensive fix.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:36 PM
1st Gear

If the sounds is coming from near the airbox it is normal. It is just you PCV system.

Quick Reply: help, annoying ticking(not lifters)