Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Switch Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 09:30 PM
3rd Gear
Default Headlight Switch Trouble

Hey everyone...this is on behalf of UpstateNYA4 who's having trouble posting on the forum:

I've read on here about how many people have had a failure of the combination switch, and as a result their headlights wouldn't work. I ran into a similar problem, but judging by what I found in Search, my problem is either unique or at least more rare.

I got in the car a little while ago to come back into work and handle a few things, and when I flipped the switch lever up to the first detent for the parking lights, it was fine. I went to turn on the headlights, and the switch lever physically would not move any farther - it was like the switch had only two positions - Off, and Parking lights.

I've never read of this happening before - my assumption in reading the posts I saw was that people have been able to turn the switch on to the normal headlights ON position, but it just didn't do anything. I can't even get the switch into that position.

In case it matters, last week my hazard/turn signal relay took a dump and isn't working, but I believe that is the relay itself, and not just a stalk failure, because if it was just the stalk that took out the turn signals, I should still have flashers. Therefore I don't think the lack of turn signals is related to the stalk itself, but I am positive that the headlight failure is due to the stalk.

Has anyone had this happen to them, or heard of it happening? Feedback ASAFP would be fantastic. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:04 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Headlight Switch Trouble

The stalk lever has been known to do that from time to time, you need to replace the stalk. However this probably isn't the problem with your hazards, you still need to replace that relay as well.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:15 PM
5th Gear

that's nice ofyou sineo. wait, if he couldn't post how could you know he had something to ask? and holy crap bro, check this out http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...egory=Switches
i'm gonna see if i can find some cheaper stuff

Old 12-27-2007, 11:18 PM
3rd Gear

I'm psychic .

Old 12-27-2007, 11:28 PM
5th Gear

hey auditech79, is the headlight stalk together with the flasher stalk? like is it connected inside the steering wheel?

Old 12-27-2007, 11:28 PM
1st Gear

You could check with Eric at 1800vwparts in the morning, he probably has both the hazard and the stalk.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:29 PM
Site Moderator

Everything is integral to the stalk, the only thing seperate is the hazard relay (red triangle)

Old 12-27-2007, 11:31 PM
5th Gear

is this the right one? http://www.getcoolparts.com/RenderSc...d=getcoolparts

Old 12-27-2007, 11:34 PM
3rd Gear

I don't know, but that's more than ECS. I'm going to go to my local Audi dealership tomorrow to see what kind of price they'll give me.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:35 PM
5th Gear

Quick Reply: Headlight Switch Trouble