Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight switch replacement issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 09:50 PM
1st Gear
Default Headlight switch replacement issue

Howdy.

I recently had my headlights go out. When I searched the forums I saw some posts about faulty headlight switches and my symptoms matched everything I read (high beams could be activated by pulling back, etc).

I ordered the part and replaced it today. Now my headlights work but my turn signals do not.

I even put the old switch back in and they don't work with it either.

They did work fine before I started.

My emergency flasher button activates fine and all the lights flash normally but I cannot get the turn signals to come on, either left or right.

I don't have an owner's manual but I checked the fuse that relates to the turn signal and it seems fine (I even switched it out just to be certain).

I don't see any broken wires inside the steering column area.

Any thoughts or ideas gratefully considered.

Thanks,

Andrew

1998 Audi A4 Quattro, 2.8l 130,000mi

Old 05-16-2012, 06:22 PM
Administrator

It's very likely the hazard/signal relay built into the hazard button. Your fail symptoms match it. Search YouTube for a video on cleaning the relay and if that doesn't work, just replace it.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:57 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
It's very likely the hazard/signal relay built into the hazard button. Your fail symptoms match it. Search YouTube for a video on cleaning the relay and if that doesn't work, just replace it.
Well, okay, but I'm curious why they worked fine moments before I replaced the headlight switch and then just quit working altogether with either the new or old headlight switch.

And the hazards do work when activated. Seems a little too coincidental that the hazard relay would just quit like that, doesn't it?

Old 05-19-2012, 02:40 PM
1st Gear

Also, another question... I see there is a part called the "Turn signal flasher" which has a Part Number: 7426-07113889.

Is that relay located inside the dash? I can see a few when I take the fuse panel cover off but I have no idea how you would get to them.

The 3 bladed turn signal flasher is like $10 on line while the hazard relay is closer to $70.

I did see some suggestion elsewhere for using a VW hazard relay because it's $15-20 cheaper.

Just wondering what the most likely scenario might be and how best to begin replacing parts.

I did pull the hazard relay out and cleaned the metal tabs but it made no difference.