Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight bulbs - opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 04:16 PM
1st Gear
Default Headlight bulbs - opinions needed

So, blew one out. Cheered coz now I can get some decent light.

Here's what I've been lookin at..

Silverstars (H7ST-2) (approx $35)
Philips NightGuide (can't seem to find these - see 2nd section) (approx $ ??)
PIAA H7 Xtreme White Plus (4000k ? cool..) (approx $80)

I've searched and read the reviews/comments on the Silverstars (about 50/50), one or two comments on the Philips however the read on their website was intriguing, and of course the "hella expensive but worth it" comments on the PIAA's.

I have a 99.5 w/ the projectors and while I'd love to go HID right now, funds are tied up in other things. Anyone have personal experience w/ the PIAAs or the Philips?

2nd part of my thread, for those of you in WA ... what's a decent parts store to visit? I've been to a Schucks and AutoZone and PepBoys. Seeing as I'm not a regular patron of any of these, lookin for some inside opinions on what place is better priced in general, has better chances of havin stuff in stock and has a better chance of havin staff that know the difference between a injector and a spark plug. I'm in South Everett but don't mind drivin a bit if it's worth it.

Thanks for the opinions and info!

Old 12-01-2006, 04:23 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: Headlight bulbs - opinions needed

You can try this site

I use Roadmax metal whites, got them from here

Old 12-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Site Moderator

I have Phillips Nightguide's... I love them. Much whiter than the sylvania's i took out. Almost looks like HIDs when you look straight at them. They were $50 or so. I actually found them at Meijer's. Dont know if you have one of them close.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:08 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the Hoen link, socaljoe

onepoint8tee: no Meijers out here, but thanks for the feedback.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:16 PM

For what you'd spend on a few sets of expensive non-oem halogens, you could just buy an HID kit from visionbulbs.com, I spent $55 a pair on my hyper yellows in my integra, twice. HID's last WAAY longer, and have better light output. just my .02 for what its worth.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:23 PM
1st Gear

Couldn't agree with you more - but can't drop 3 bills right now and can't drive around w/ one headlight.

Old 12-01-2006, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

I just put the Silverstars in my car two weeks ago. They are so much brighter/whiter than stock it's unreal. They also give a wider and longer pattern. As close to my HID low beams as I have seen. Really makes the yellow in standard halogens stand out, plus it makes it seem like you are driving blind. I have an 05' F150 also, and when my A4 was in the shop I had to drive that, never realized how yellow standard halogens are until I got used to HID and the silverstars. Bi Xenon would be better, but not in the cards yet.
Eric
www.shoponemotorsports.com

Old 12-01-2006, 06:48 PM

ORIGINAL: LabattZ

Couldn't agree with you more - but can't drop 3 bills right now and can't drive around w/ one headlight.
If you order the VisionBulbs.com ones and enter the Audi Forum coupon code (I can't remember what it is at this time) they are only $200 shipped.

You do however have a good point about not being able to drive around with only one headlight, at least legally.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:18 PM
1st Gear

I just got a set of the Silverstar H7's in my Audi and they are bright. I got them at a super Wal-Mart and for some reason all of the H7's by Silverstar were only $20 for a set!!!!!!!!! So i got everything for $40. I noticed this in other Wal-Marts also so if you have one close check it out and see if they are on sale. Mine were from Eau Claire WI. (had alot left if anyone's in that area!)

Old 12-01-2006, 09:12 PM
1st Gear

The WalMart close to me only had the single Silverstar H7's for 9.95ea. pepboys atleast had the pair of 'em for 37.95. Coulnd't find anyone (walmart or target or fred meyer) that carried the Philips. So, atleast low's are installed for now. If I find that AUDIForums code, I'd definitely hit VisionBulbs up on that offer. HIDs would be nice fo sho.

Thnx for the info

Quick Reply: Headlight bulbs - opinions needed