Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlamp aim

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 10:39 AM
1st Gear
Default Headlamp aim

Had my headlight aim set at an m.o.t station,drivers side is as the picture indicates below,but the passenger side 'kick up' dont go all the way to the end,it stops where the arrow is,where it say's 'image kick up' .

The tester said that ok,i just wanted you guys to check,see what you think,if my left handside headlight is stoping exactly where the arrow is(image kick up) is this ok or will i be losing light,getting less on the road or something,the drivers side is exactly like the picture below,and finish's rite at the end,just like the picture below.

[/align]

Old 09-02-2007, 09:33 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Headlamp aim

Not really clear about what you are asking.
I have 03 A4. All I know is that dealer told me that driver's side is aimed slightly lower than passenger as courtesy to not blind drivers in front of you.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:41 PM
1st Gear

confused..basically the way i aimed mine was to pull the car up to the garage door mark exactly where the beams shot when 3 inches from the door....drive the car back 25 feet straight and aim the lights so they hit around 1 inch below the marks and on inch to the inside of the marks....seems fine to me!

Old 09-03-2007, 04:42 AM

I think the only problem here is the guy at the m.o.t station could not be botherd or you simply just didnt ask him why it is like this. It wouldnt be rude or challenging him to ask why. If he said I dont know or becuase its just the way it is etc then id be worried and be asking around. But he probably didnt realise you were walking away doubting him or unsure.

As for the "Car Sales Man" saying its for courtesy not to blind other drivers. This had me laughing thinking back to why my old man always always always said never trust a used car sales man. Hahaha they just make **** up as they go along, but this wasnt the case it was the dealership so you should be able to trust them, guess thats why he is half right ;p Why would you project light up into the sky where it isnt needed? Its projected to which everside the street signs are on so you can light them up better and see them. The design goals would be to effiently use and direct the light where it is needed and to not direct it where it is not needed. Hence the reason a used car sales man made up the right one dips.

Depending on which side of the road you drive on will determine which side your kick-up is on or your countrys rules regarding it.
Do a google or wiki search for ERS or ellipsoidal reflector spotlight. It will help you understand what im talking about and really make sense once you understand what is going on and then how the parabolic reflectors can be alterd to direct lighting etc and then put that into how and why it is used in cars, you'll have a full understanding.

If you cant be bothered just remember which ever light is on the inside of the road should have the kick up, not both.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:38 PM

hey guys, how do you adjust the headlites on the A4 ?

Old 09-05-2007, 12:03 AM

Haha.... i have my drivers light aimed higher than my passenger. Im such an ***........ not really just to lazy to fix it.