Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone cleaned the undercarriage on their car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 08:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Has anyone cleaned the undercarriage on their car?

I'm doing my wheel bearings and installing coilovers in a few weeks and while I'm in the area, I though I would clean the undercarriage and apply an oil treatment. The winter conditions here are fairly harsh and I neglected the bottom of my car for quite a few years. I was wondering if anyone would have suggestions on cleaning under the car and taking as much of the rust off as possible before I shoot the undercarriage with oil. I am considering getting under there with my sandblaster, can anyonegive me a reason why I shouldn't do this? (It's not like the bottom of the car doesn't get sandblasted with regular driving, but still...). Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:37 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Has anyone cleaned the undercarriage on their car?

Hmm, where are you, canada?

probably if its that bad, maybe you should have the underside of the car treated with rust protection from one of the companies that does that.

I dont know if sandblasting is such a good idea, seems like it would generate a lot of dust/dirt into the engine bay, But IDK, never heard of anyone doing this on their own.

If you do it, post some pics/results for us.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:43 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, northern Ontario, we drive on salted roads like 5 months of the year! If I go with the sandblaster, I'll try to isolate the undercarriage with cardboard so that I don't get sand and dust up in the engine bay. I'll gather information until I do the bearings and CO's and decide then. ...and I'll take tons of pics!
My friend owns a car parts store, he can provide me with an excellent rust treatment oil and the spray gun to shoot it. He says that the oil penetrates everything very well and I don't really need to clean before but I'm kinda picky on those things...

Old 06-20-2007, 12:56 AM
1st Gear

i wouldnt sand blast it.. i really dont think you need that. thats for taking paint off and what not.. just use a good power washer set at a high psi if your real worried about it. then give it the rust treatment. you should be good.. but i wouldnt do the sand blast thing.. another reason would be your going to get some of that crap up stuck up there. it just doesnt sound like a wise idea... hey but do what ya want

Old 06-20-2007, 02:12 AM
1st Gear

Don't do the sandblast. It sounds good on paper but it really grits up things.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:22 AM
1st Gear

I fear that my undercarriage is way beyond the pressure washer stage. Maybe I'll bit the bullet and go in there with some simple green, brass wire brush, and steel wool. Thanks for the input guys.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:01 AM
1st Gear

anyone here ever heard of or used these products???

http://www.seichemical.com/proddetai...prod=CPT-100-1
http://www.buycorrosionx.com/cat--Co...roductsCX.html

Old 06-20-2007, 11:45 AM
1st Gear

I know many people that have tried many different products and say that this is the best:

http://www.por15canada.com/can/p15toons.htm

Its been used on the bottom of jeeps that are constantly scraped over rocks and what not and it lasts!

Its also a Canadian product...

Old 06-20-2007, 01:42 PM
1st Gear

The only problem is that I need to really do a thorough clean up (lots of rust and corrosion under my car) before I spray any kind of undercoating. I just called SEI and I'll order the CPT-100 and give it a shot. It's supposed to go bind to the metal and lift the rust and corrosion, all you need to do is wipe/spray clean.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:26 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: x1rider

The only problem is that I need to really do a thorough clean up (lots of rust and corrosion under my car) before I spray any kind of undercoating. I just called SEI and I'll order the CPT-100 and give it a shot. It's supposed to go bind to the metal and lift the rust and corrosion, all you need to do is wipe/spray clean.
OK, scratch the above. The CPT-100 is only available in 5 gallon containers and shipping to Canada, HazMat stickers, etc... comes up to more than 700 bucks USD. I'll check out CorrosionX. (goddamnit).