Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard to find first and second gears with shifter

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Default Hard to find first and second gears with shifter

I have a chance to buy a real clean 2001 S4, but the former owner is gone (another story) so I can't find any history about the vehicle. The car has no problems other than it's difficult to find first and second with the shifter (vehicle running or not, moving or stopped).

I can easily find reverse, but to get the shifter into the first or second gear "area" takes a bit of guesswork and a little luck. I CAN get to the gears, but it seems like something must be worn in the linkage.

I've read the forums and the 1st and 2nd synchros are problematic, but I don't believe this is my problem because I can't seem to find the "channel" the shifter needs to be in to get first and second gears.

Any ideas? The car is inexpensive (as-is), but if I need a tranny rebuild I'll be hurting.

thanks

Old 05-12-2010, 12:26 PM
1st Gear

I'm no expert, but it sounds like worn linkage - a lot easier to fix than synchros...I think if you had bad synchros, you wouldn't have a problem finding the "channel", but a problem getting it to jam in there.

I really don't know, but I watch a lot of auto DIY programs, and sloppy stick is always linkage/bushings.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Default shift linkage problems S4

Thanks for the quick reply.

If the shift linkage/bushings are worn in an S4, is it a fix without removing the transmission?

Old 05-12-2010, 08:33 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by aintnodisco
Thanks for the quick reply.

If the shift linkage/bushings are worn in an S4, is it a fix without removing the transmission?
man I hope someone can come in here and specifically answer you for sure, I only have experience doing that on a Jetta and it was no problem at all...

All that linkage stuff should be external to the transmission, I would expect the worst you'd have to do might be remove a cross-member or something...

:idk: