Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Halogen Headlight Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 04:14 AM
Default Halogen Headlight Problems

Hi Folks,

I've got a new (to me) '02 A4. Been driving her for about 2 weeks now, and she just developed a problem. I got a warning on my driver information display - "Right Dipping Headlight".

My ride has the Halogens, and it turns out the right low-beam was indeed out. Picked up a Sylvania H7 at the local Auto Zone and spent a painful couple hours on Tuesday night replacing it. Finally got everything dis-assembled properly, put the new bulb in, connected up the harnesses, and no luck!

The high-beams are working, fog-lights are fine, and both blinkers blink as expected. Left low-beam is healthy too, but the right one won't come on. Looks like the old bulb was just fine, so I figure it's the fuse. Pop open the fuse box and look for fuses number 20 and 21 as the owners manual indicates - THEY AREN'T THERE!

I pull a few neighboring fuses, but no luck. Acutally, I managed to throw an "Airbag" code too. (Anyone got a Vag-com in Santa Barbara that I could borrow for a few beers?)

Does anyone know where the headlight fuse is for Halogen lights rather than HID Xenons? I've heard there's a relay which may be bad also. Anyone know where this relay is? I've ordered the CD-Rom service manual, but won't get it until next week. I really appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance,

-Burt

Old 12-14-2006, 07:11 PM
Default RE: Halogen Headlight Problems

Hi Burt,

Did you get to the bottom of your missing fuses problem? I've got an 02 A4 WITH Xenons and I can't find the fuses either !!

I've swapped my Xenon D1S bulbs over and the problem is still on the same (left) side.

Any suggestions from anyone?

Many thanks,

Paul.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:16 PM
18T
4th Gear

dipping problem doesnt mean your headlight is out. means something is wrong with the way your headlight is pointing. and why did it take you couple of hours to isntall a light bulb its a 15 min job at most.

Old 12-16-2006, 06:10 PM
3rd Gear

For xenon lights if swapping bulbs resulted in the same light being out, try swapping the ignitors.

Old 12-22-2006, 01:54 AM

18T, I'm guessing you didn't get that from the manual, since that's not what it says. [sm=bustedsign.gif] I'm having the same problem, anddid happen tolook it up in the manual, which says that the "Dipped Headlight" indicator could have one of three causes, i.e. a blown bulb, a blown fuse, or a problem in the wiring. None of these has anything to do with which way the headlight is pointed. I have replaced the bulb, which didn't fix it, so the next step is to replace the fuse (if I can find it). If anyone has an idea where it might be located, please help.