Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had a great quattro run today

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 04:23 AM
2nd Gear
Default Had a great quattro run today

Today I got out of school early because I have no class right before lunch, and had 18 holes with the golf team at 2:00... that basically left me time from 11:05-1:30 to kill. My friends and I piled in my car and went out for a little cruise up a light road, just for fun. They loved it and asked for more. I made sure they were really comfortable with my driving, my car, and told them I was going to take to the narrowist and twistiest road in the county (might well be too). I headed out on the freeway, about 25 miles out of town. For the local guys, here's my route: Hwy 92 towards Halfmoon Bay, left onto Skyline Blvd, and left onto Kings Mountain Road. There are actually some portions of Kings Mountain Road that are hardly wide enough for two cars to pass each other, not to mention 180 degree downhill hairpins. There is also hardly ever any traffic on the road because there are only about 3 houses on the entire road, and it is way easier to get there from Hwy 84 on the other side where the road isn't so twisty. Another thing about the road... it is carved into a mountain, so one side is a sheer drop into the forestry, the other a wall of rocks. My friend commented that it is dangerous enough to be a part of a rally stage.

Once I got on the road, I started my run as usual by scanning the area ahead and acceleration to 50mph or so. I noticed what I thought was a Jaguar and a G35 get behind me. I took off, brake hard for a 80 degree or so right, and thought I left the Jag in the dust. About 2 minutes later, I glanced in my rearview and saw it was still behind me, close on my tail. I continued the run, tires squeeling though every downhill hairpin, especially the ones where I was on the inside (my friend acted as my spotter for cars coming towards me, my other friend was giggling uncontrolably). I never did a full drift (I wasn't trying... just pushing the limits), more like my tires going RRR..rrr..RRR in short bursts. The road was so tight that except for the two short straigtaways, I never left 1st and 2nd gear.

For the entire duration of the road (5mi) the jaguar and G35 kept close. The road ends at a stopsign, and since it is such a low traffic area, I thought what better place to stop and chat with the driver of the Jaguar. With massive brake fade, I pulled up to the stopsign. He pulled up beside me after I waved him up, and I noticed smoke rising out from my brakes. He and his friend pulled by with an ear to ear grin. I opened my door up to get a look at the brakes to see if they were glowing at all, but they weren't. Immediatly the entire car was enveloped with the putrid odor of burning brakes. I didn't wait long to get going again because I didn't want my rotors to warp. We pulled up to a resturant about 3 miles down a long straight road, so I had some time to cool down. Once I got behind him, so my suprise, he wasn't driving a Jag.. it was a maserati. It was really a beautiful car. We parked and I talked with him for a bit. The first thing he said was, "Great run!"

I asked him if I was slowing him down, and he replied in his German accent, "By myself, I would have taken the road a little faster, but you set a perfect pace for my friend... he is not as experienced as I am." He also added, "You are a natural driver, especially for your age."

I couldn't have been happier... a compliment like that from not only a complete stranger, but from someone that obviously knows how to drive if he will take his maserati out on a road like that.

I'll try to find a pic of what the car looked like.

Old 05-18-2006, 04:31 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Had a great quattro run today

It was a Masterati Gran Sport

It was that exact same blue.

Here's the front.

Old 05-18-2006, 04:37 AM
3rd Gear

Good stuff sounds like a great run!

Old 05-18-2006, 04:38 AM
Site Moderator/Ninja

Very nice!
sounds like a great run !

edit: [:'(] i sound like a beer mod clone...2 sec. faster & I couldve posted first...

Old 05-18-2006, 05:56 AM
5th Gear

cool man, its always nice to make friends cuz of your car

Old 05-18-2006, 02:44 PM
1st Gear

Hey man we should kick it sometime, i live in sacramento but my grandma lives in Menlo Park, which is right near u right?

Old 05-18-2006, 10:52 PM
2nd Gear

Yep, its pretty close. Next time you are going to be around, shoot me an email.

Old 05-18-2006, 11:06 PM
2nd Gear

Nice!

Old 05-19-2006, 12:43 AM

Awesome, sounds like a lot of fun! I have a couple roads like that here in the greater eastside area near Seattle. Some real nice backcountry twisties.

Old 05-19-2006, 02:07 AM
1st Gear

Sounds Fun. My favorite road is HWY 17 at like one or two in the morning when its not congested.