Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got turbo working but loads of black smoke and power loss

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 11:21 PM
1st Gear
Default got turbo working but loads of black smoke and power loss

after driving my recently purchased car for at least 500 miles without any working turbo i was keen to get it sorted. after advise of parts that need replacing ranging from turbo, turbo actuator, n75 valve and mass air flow filter and then a vag-com scan saying i had a fault with exhaust gas recirculation valve (n18) i was so happy to find a huge split in one of the major hoses thinking this could be the culprit. i fixed the hose and voila i had a turbo running in my car for the first time

i took it out for a drive and straight away i noticed huge amounts of black smoke from the exhaust when i put my foot down. not put off and with a big smile on my face as the car had some torque and i could hear the turbo whistle for the first time i continued on.
the car was fine for about 20 minutes and i was getting good response, i tried to push it a bit harder and i lost about 40% power and turbo was very noisy. i think it went into limp mode which i have heard about??? i drove home slowly with really bad idling and loads of smoke.

does anyone think it could be as simple as the n18 exhaust gas recirculation valve that vag-com is picking up faulty?
vag-com says the n18 is open or short to ground does this mean it could be the connection that is providing the n18 rather than the actual unit? can i test this with a meter?
does the black smoke relate to the n18?
anything else i should look at?

my car is 1996 audi a4 1.9tdi 110 bhp, part number for my n18 is - 1H0 906 627

any help is greatly appreciated
thanks