Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my A4 chipped and now the car stalls

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 11:50 PM
1st Gear
Default Got my A4 chipped and now the car stalls

I'mhopingsomeone could shed some light on this since I'm not a mechanic and don't know the first thing about cars (I just drive them. )

I have a 99.5 A4 1.8T Quattro, 5 speed. I gotit chipped yesterday. Got the GIAC chip and a new DV, installed at TyrolSport.

Drove the car back home and drove it some more today in early afternoon, no problem. Parked it in the drive way for about 4 hours and then the problem occurred when I tried to go out again.

The car starts but stalls after a couple of seconds. I also tried starting the car with the gaspedal depressed a little bit but it still stalls. The gas tank has about 1/4 of a tank left. I mention this because a friend of mine thinks it could be somethingfuel related (either a bad sensor or a fuel blockage somewhere).

Unfortunately tomorrow is Sunday and Monday is a holiday so it looks like it'll be a couple of days before it can be seen by a mechanic.

Do you guys think the new GIAC chip can, in any way cause a problem like this? The guys at TyrolSport told me to bring the car back if I had any problems but if the car won't start, it's going to be a little tough doing that.

It's easier and closer for me to bring it to my mechanic (tow truck) but if there's a possibility that the GIAC chip could be causing this problem then I can find a way to bring it back to the people that installed it.

Any suggestions or help you guys can provide will be deeply appreciated.

Old 05-27-2007, 02:11 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Got my A4 chipped and now the car stalls

You can always try disconnecting the battery for10 mins and reset the ECU. This MAY solve your problem if it's computer related or it may be enough just to get the car back to the garage that chipped it. Either way you should call them to see if they've ever heard of this problem. Hope this helps

Old 05-27-2007, 03:10 AM
Zombie Defense Force

check to see if you have any boost leaks. see if the dv was put in all the way and that the clamps are no loose

Old 05-27-2007, 04:43 AM

sounds coil pack related, chippage usually causes pre-warn coil packs to die...gl!

Old 05-27-2007, 04:58 AM

You can try unplugging the MAF. If you have a sizeable boost leak that might get you going.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:45 AM
1st Gear

A few questions for my own edification since I'm a newbie at this:

You can always try disconnecting the battery for10 mins and reset the ECU. This MAY solve your problem if it's computer related
Can this damage the ECU chip in any way?

sounds coil pack related, chippage usually causes pre-warn coil packs to die
what are the coil packs and why does chippage causes them to fail? How can this make the car stall?

check to see if you have any boost leaks
where exactly do I check this? Can this be doneby a visual inspection at home or does a trained mechanic need to do this at a shop with the necessary equipment?

I think I know the answer to this but at the risk of sounding dumb,I'll ask anyway. There's no way that the new GIAC chip could've caused a boost leak (if that's my problem) right? If that is the problem (which I don't know yet) the leak must have been there from before, like a damaged hose or something right?

Thanks.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:47 AM
4th Gear

Boost leak could be caused by aloose connection for the DV.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:01 AM
1st Gear

CRAZYHAWK, yeah, I've been doing some searching in the archives here and it's very possible that it could be a worn or damaged line or a loose connection like you said. I'm going to go take a look.

Thanks.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:07 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: 1.8quattro

You can try unplugging the MAF. If you have a sizeable boost leak that might get you going.
Worst 1st post ive ever seen .. Doing that will only make you run more rich than the boost leak is already causing you to run.

A bad coil pack wont make your engine stall either, and I dont see how chipping helps a coil pack die.... There is not more voltage running through them or anything... Higher under the hood temps dont help anything, but if anything affects your coil packs- it is the heat.

Id try disconnecting the battery for 10-15 mins and then see what happens.

Old 05-27-2007, 02:55 PM
2nd Gear

Guys,

He didn't have this problem prior to getting the car chipped and then all of a sudden he has them. As far as I'm concerned this has nothing to do with loose hoses or worn out valves or parts. It's like, if I cut my arm and complain that my arm hurts. It's not because I have a headache or my blood pressure is up, it's because I cut my arm

Coolvirus. Take it back and tell them to do it again. Don't take any $hit about it could be this or that. Get them to reset the chip back to stock YOU drive it, see if there's a problem and ifnot, have themre-chip it. Make them troubleshoot properly or they'll take you and your wallet for a ride!!

Quick Reply: Got my A4 chipped and now the car stalls