Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got 40.9 MPG in my '06 A4! (and other general ownership observations)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Default Got 40.9 MPG in my '06 A4! (and other general ownership observations)

I just thought you guys might be interested in this - I don't know if this is unheard of good mileage or not, but I have a 2006 A4, w/ the 2.0T, 6 speed manual, and FWD, currently just under 20k miles. I've always gotten way better than the rated mileage in the city... it seems to be almost impossible for me to get under 30 in the city no matter how hard I accelerate... granted I have a habit of immediately shifting to 6th once I reach cruising speed... I'll hot rod it while accelerating, but once I reach speed, I shift into the highest reasonable gear and just cruise.

I'd made a couple of highway trips in it before and only managed 36mpg or so... but one of those trips I was averaging about 90mph because I was in a rush, and the other trip I had forgotten to air up my tires and was running on 26psi, plus I had 4 guys and a bunch of hiking gear in the back - about 1200 pounds to my estimation, and the window sticker says I should have 36psi at that weight... actually I think the window sticker says I shouldn't even HAVE that much weight in the car - I was over by 100 or 200 pounds... that combined with 26psi not only made me get 34mpg on that trip, but it also caused one of my tires to go flat (at least I'm guessing that's what did it since there were no nails or puncture marks in it)

So anyhow, two weekends ago on my way back from another hiking trip, I "only" had about 800 pounds worth of gear and people in the car and my tires were aired up to ~38psi. I resolved to only do 5 over (75 in a 70) and to not accelerate too rapidly and measured my mileage on a pure highway stretch going east to west on I-40 from just outside of Nashville back to Memphis. I ended up getting 40.91 mpg by my calculations, which is just flat-out amazing for a car like this, IMO. I mean my friend's 4-cylinder 2003 Accord 5-speed manual is not only considerably slower, but also only manages ~34 on the highway, and my dad's '05 Camry 4-cyl automatic only managed 32mpg highway.

I have to say this car has exceeded my expectations. I originally got it just because it wasa good lease deal, but I was kind of expecting it to not be that great. But it has been a lot of fun to drive, gotten awesome mileage, has decent acceleration(ran a best of 15.1 @ 93 in stock form with it on my one and only time to the 1/4-mile track with it), pleasant handling, and despite having a few more rattles and shakes than I'd expect out of a $30k+car, it actually hasn't had any reliability issues either. It did have a CEL light when it had 500 miles on it... that never came back and was never 'fixed' either. It also has a weird occasional clicking noise coming from the vents in a series of several clicks that slowly fade away. It also sometimes leaves the windshield wipers in a slightly 'up' position when I turn them off or when I use the windshield washer fluid. But those are relatively small quirks - I was expecting worse. Maybe I got lucky?

Anyhow... I know I don't post here, really, but I just thought I'd share. My lease is up in October of this year (2 year lease)... my wife wants something sportier this time around so I'll probably look at either a 335i coupe or the A5. Hopefully Audi has decent lease rates on the A5 when they come out.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:06 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Got 40.9 MPG in my '06 A4! (and other general ownership observations)

Almost 41 mpg?? You might wanna get your car checked out I think there is something terribly wrong with it...

Old 03-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Default RE: Got 40.9 MPG in my '06 A4! (and other general ownership observations)

Is that 40 going off of the mileage display calculator thingy? Or are you calculating this based on when you fill up (miles driven divided by gallons filled)?

Just curious, as I've gotten 30 mpg per the display, but when i filled up and calculated it myself, it was about 26.5 - not nearly as good as i thought.

Either way, that's great gas mileage that you're getting!

Old 03-27-2007, 03:17 PM

That was filling up at one station until it 'clicked' the first time, resetting the trip indicator, driving about250 miles, and then stopping at the first station off the highway in Memphis and filling up again before I did any city driving again... again until it 'clicked'... then dividing the mileage on the trip meter by the gallons indicated on the pump at the station.

That's the way I've always done it, mileage indicator or not. But for what it's worth - I have a 'base model' with only the sunroof package and a few other things - I don't have the 'technology package' so I don't actually have a MPG indicator. I do have a "miles til empty indicator" which was reading as high as 780 miles when I first filled up on the highway. But that's not how I derived my mileage.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:59 PM
4th Gear

You may have clicked the gas off closer to full the first time, and
drove to a lower altitude with a good tail-wind.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:03 PM

Well, I was driving east to west, so it's doubtful that I had much of a tailwind, on average - if anything I more likely would have had the wind against me. Also, Nashville is at roughly the same altitude above sea level that Memphis is (between 400 and 1200 feet depending on the area in question) so I didn't have much if any drop in altitude to help me out either. The one thing I will say is that, while I wasn't exactly trying to draft, I tended to follow behind truckers at a safe distance, which may have helped with wind resistance (though I've heard you have to really tail them to make a difference).

Still... I get 30-31 all day every day in the city and drive pretty aggressively when accelerating... and got 34 and 36 on those other trips with far greater speed and lower tire pressure, so I don't think 40.9 is outside of reason.

Also, I filled up to the first click each time, though it's very possible that maybe the second station clicked off sooner than the first one...

Old 03-27-2007, 09:27 PM
4th Gear

Jesus, you lucky dog.[8D]

Old 03-28-2007, 01:39 AM
4th Gear

See if the car keeps it up, or it was a one time finding. Now that spring has finally come to NJ, and I've tightened up all my hoses, I seem to be getting 31 highway.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:53 AM
4th Gear

Nice. ^

Old 03-28-2007, 03:50 PM
1st Gear

with the gas prices rising i have been watching my mpg lately, i commute every day 65 miles each way. i started off getting 22.5 on the highway, going 80mph, after some engine light issues and replacing of all 4 ignition coils, i started to watch it, in my 03 A4 1.8TQ, i go on the highway, at 70mph i get around 29mpg, at 67mph i average 31mpg, but on my way to MA last Friday night i got 33mpg, mostly because the highway is flatter, not so many hills, so i am improved my mpg alot. im not sure if the coils had anything to do with the bad mgp or not, but after i had them changed, i was getting around 26mpg on the highway doin 80mph.
but because i commute so heavily (i go 1,000 miles a week) i am putting along letting everyone and their grandmother pass me, but smiling because im saving my $$ with gas.
however, as soon as i get into town i put it in sport mode and have at it. (just being happy with good mpg on the highway doesnt mean i have to suffer around town)

~kylie