Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a good deal 99 Audi A4 Qaut 1.8T AWD 89k miles for 6k

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 07:42 PM
1st Gear
Default Is this a good deal 99 Audi A4 Qaut 1.8T AWD 89k miles for 6k

First off, I went to check out an 99 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T AWD. It has 89k miles and has a new Turbo installed at 83k, Timing belt changed, New tires, trans fluid flush, pressure check. http://daytona.craigslist.org/car/396948623.html That's the link to the car. Interior is very clean, leather has been cared and condition twice. The guys was asking for 7k but I got him to sell it for 6k. Is this a good price? I'm suppose to pick up the car Friday. I test drove the car and it runs fine. The new turbo seems to make the car heat up a bit when sitting in traffic in goes 1 bar over from the middle. The AC compressor clicks off and the bar goes back down, then when I accelerate the compressor clicks back on. He said when he's just sitting in traffic he rolls the window down and shuts the AC off, he said the AC and the turbo makes the engine a little hot especially sitting in athe summer outside. During the highway the car runs fine AC is good, AWD is excellent, sticks on turns, handling is awesome, never drove a all wheel before, nor a turbo car.
Second, how do I know if my car is B5, B6, or B7 not sure what those mean, and I asked a mechanic about installing the upgrade chip GIAC chip and he said that the car has to be sent out to install a software, something about removing the ECU chips and installing a different one. Is this true or is this guy just BS'ing? This is my first audi, sedan, car, what ever you want to call it. I've always been a truck owner, just because it fits my surf board. Please respond because i'm getting this Friday and want to know if it's a good deal or not.
P.S. he said at 100k I need a tune up , transmission flush, and change my rear brake pads.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:59 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: New to AF, Just have a few questions if you guys could answer thanks.

A new turbo at only 83k?

That seems kinda shady. And my car never gets hot sitting in traffic in 103 degree heat. The way it sounds, the guy assumed he could just start it, drive the hell out of it, and then shut it down immediately. Now he's trying to get rid of it before he has to spend more money on it.

Your ECU has to be pulled out, and you send it to GIAC. Takes about 3 days. You don't have to send the whole car out.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 08-15-2007, 08:03 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: New to AF, Just have a few questions if you guys could answer thanks.

Actually the guy just bought it, he's an intern and was planing to use the car up north, but now he's going to NYC and wants to sell the car. He said he bought the car cheap because the orginal owner didn't want to fix the turbo, So he bought it and fixed up the turbo. The car doesn't over heat, it just goes one bar above the half mark, but during regular drive it goes right back down. The turbo has 10k warranty, the car seemed fine but I was hesistant about the turbo being replace so early. The guy fixed up the car as best as he could, because he was planing on driving the car up north for school, but since NY has no parking he said he was comuting on the subway.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:06 PM
4th Gear

B5 = http://incontrol.nexteppe.com/images...A172759_01.jpg
B6 = http://www.channel4.com/4car/media/b.../audi-a4-a.jpg
B7 = http://www.eliteluxurycar.com/images/audi_a4.jpg

These designations refer to the plaform the car is built on. In the US, B5 was 1996-2001, B6 was 2002-2004, and B7 is 2005-present.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:45 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: myaktine

A new turbo at only 83k?

That seems kinda shady. And my car never gets hot sitting in traffic in 103 degree heat. The way it sounds, the guy assumed he could just start it, drive the hell out of it, and then shut it down immediately. Now he's trying to get rid of it before he has to spend more money on it.

Your ECU has to be pulled out, and you send it to GIAC. Takes about 3 days. You don't have to send the whole car out.
[align=left][/align]
Well I have a 99 A4 quattro 1.8t and I just replaced the turbo @ 80k mi due to a bad wastgate valve. This problems seems to be typical in high mileage turbos so yes I can aggree with the new turbo. The turbo may not be bad at all, if the wastegate valve fails the whole turbo needs to be replaced unfortunately. That price sounds very accurate for info stated. If it drives straight, no vibrations, no pulls, clean lines and runs strong I would suggest going for it, especially with the new turbo and timing belt replacement.