Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GIAC vs Wetterauer..of the two which one is the more aggressive!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 03:58 PM
1st Gear
Default GIAC vs Wetterauer..of the two which one is the more aggressive!?

ive narrowed it down to three chips(giac,apr,wetterauer)... they all claim pretty much around same hp/torque gains! can anyone from personal experience tell me which of these is the most agressive/fun to drive with.? i can buy giac or apr brand new or get the wett chip with ecu for very cheap. thanks 4 the help!

Old 04-28-2005, 04:31 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: GIAC vs Wetterauer..of the two which one is the more aggressive!?

Giac by far

Old 04-28-2005, 04:39 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the input tom!

Old 04-28-2005, 05:05 PM
1st Gear

Correct me if I'm wrong...

But you might look at dyno graphs or at the very least see/ask at what RPM is the max torque and get an idea of the torque across the RPM range.

IMO, the most fun car to drive is going to be one that puts down gobs of torque in the lower RPMs and sustains that across the entire RPM range. This is often refered to as a flat torque curve.

If the torque curve gradually rises then the power will be "smooth" and gradual. If the torque curve is flat you're going to feel a sustained pull across the RPM range.

For this reason I am leaning toward an MTM setup, but definitely interested in hearing about other setups which offer a high flat torque curve. I've read comments such as APR being "smooth" and MTM feeling stronger. I suspect this is the reason.

Hope this helps, let us know what you choose. Anyone offer comments?

Old 04-28-2005, 05:17 PM
1st Gear

ahhhhw yes ive heard and read bout MTM, supposedly they are makin the most power out there at the moment for our applications.... only prob is that they are a tad high in the price range! other things ive found are similar to yours, "mr_you". that apr is smoother which to me interprets as a bit more docile to giac. giac gives you a little more power but comes with of course sum more jerkiness or ...hmmm cant think right now, not as smooth as apr. my couzin has apr in his jetta and swears by it, ive been in his car and it hauls! im trying to out do him hence im trying to go wit GIAC, because of the supposed "more hp" , "more power". but def MTM would be anotha option for me if i can fork out the mula! thanx for the insight MR!

Old 04-29-2005, 01:27 AM
1st Gear

Whgat about upsolute? It is less and expensive at about 375.00 and for another 125 you can have the chip custom to your specs...

Old 04-29-2005, 01:30 AM
1st Gear

What car do you have?

Old 04-29-2005, 03:58 AM
1st Gear

GIAC here and love it!

Old 04-29-2005, 04:38 AM
1st Gear

PETEMAN... i have a 2000 1.8t tip..... ijust got it like a week and 1/2 ago... my cuz got me into trying to mod it so im trying to learn all as fast as i can .. all these damn chips make it hard to make a good decision, but from what ive gathered GIAC sounds like something i need to be a lil more zippy!! waht ya think!? thanks

Old 04-29-2005, 09:48 AM
4th Gear

I have a 2000 1.8t tip too and put int the APR chip about 30K miles ago. I love it.

However, if you have just bought the car, before you mod, make sure that you do all the routine maintenance. I suggest swapping out all the fluids, (tranny, diff,) power steering, brake fluids. When was the timing belt done? Fix anything that is broken and check for codes with a VAG-Com. No sense modifying a car and then not have enough money to repair or maintain it.

Quick Reply: GIAC vs Wetterauer..of the two which one is the more aggressive!?