Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
APR 93 octane chip
48.00%
Giac (only makes 91 octane) chip
44.00%
another? tell us about it.
8.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

giac or apr?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 03:31 AM
Tech Slut
Default giac or apr?????

excuse me if this has already been done, but i prefer the apr 93 octane chip to the giac(which only offers 91 octane), but the k04 wouldn't work with my apr chip so i switched. i dont know, what do you guys think?

Old 01-10-2006, 03:34 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: giac or apr?????

In the same position. I have the APR and I love it, but I wanna do K04 I think and I kinda wished I woulda got GIAC. I wanted to do a chip swap if someone was interested.

Old 01-10-2006, 03:39 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: FasterA4ThanUrs

excuse me if this has already been done, but i prefer the apr 93 octane chip to the giac(which only offers 91 octane), but the k04 wouldn't work with my apr chip so i switched. i dont know, what do you guys think?
Giac makes a 93 chip.

Old 01-10-2006, 03:48 AM
Site Moderator

Well i dont see it on giacusa.com but i know it was available when i got chipped at the shop i got it at. I got 91 cuz i thought there werent many gas stations with 93, but i was wrong... Im 99.999% sure there is a 93 program.
Hmmm.. Maybe not...

Old 01-10-2006, 04:04 AM
5th Gear

I got the Giac 91 and love it and its cool becasue if i decide to upgrade to a ko4 or somthing they will upgrade my chip for free at the shop i had do it.

Old 01-10-2006, 04:43 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: BadLuckAudi

I got the Giac 91 and love it and its cool becasue if i decide to upgrade to a ko4 or somthing they will upgrade my chip for free at the shop i had do it.
What spark plugs do you have?

Old 01-10-2006, 04:53 AM
Zombie Defense Force

Ok my little chip rant. If u think it might be possible that u may go to a big turbo then dont waist ur money on chips. thats the worst thing that i have done, replacing my chip with apr, revo, and atp. its not worth it, get standalone and never have to worry about it. with all the money i spent on chips and stuff i could have a great suspension and wheels.

Old 01-10-2006, 12:40 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: Jeff

Ok my little chip rant. If u think it might be possible that u may go to a big turbo then dont waist ur money on chips. thats the worst thing that i have done, replacing my chip with apr, revo, and atp. its not worth it, get standalone and never have to worry about it. with all the money i spent on chips and stuff i could have a great suspension and wheels.
Thats because you were getting the wrong chip, all 3 times.. Id be bitter about it too... GIAC is supposed to be the shiznit with bigger turbo's isnt it? I think after the 2nd chip id call it quits.. Thats rediculous, and what, like over $1800 down the tube?????

Old 01-10-2006, 01:24 PM
1st Gear

It all depends on your power goals. I am going through the same process right now. I bought an APR chip but wanted more. It was a HUGE improvement over stock, but not enough for me. If you think you are going to do a lot of upgrades on your car (clutch, suspension, brakes, intercooler etc....) then don't chip until you figure out your power goals.

There are 3 classes of turbos for our cars (non drive by wire):
1) Stock K03 - Can make 200HP with a chip ($400)
- GIAC or APR are about the same in my experience.
2) K04 Turbo - GIAC has the most popular software for this turbo 235HP ($1700 for Turbo and software)
- There is a $200 trade in discount for GIAC chip owner when buying the K04 Kit.
- This is where you could start to buy supporting mods like an exhaust, High flow Cat/Test Pipe, FMIC, and suspension
- K04 can also run with agressive software called PC-16 but needs a FMIC and new injectors 247HP (K04 kit above + $200 + FMIC + exhaust)
- I personally think it is not worth going PC-16, for the money of the supporting mods you could have gone with a Big Turbo and got real power.
3) Big Turbo - This is anything bigger, like T3/T4, GT28R, GT28RS on up. High flow rates, requires many engine upgrades (clutch, manifold, intake, maf housing, injectors, ecu tuning, oil and water lines, high flow exhaust and cat)
- You will either have to do a pile of research and figure out where you want your turbo to kick in, or find someone that can guide you.
- Big Turbos have the problem of lag and don't spool as quickly as a K03 or K04 but make huge power once they spool
- You really need someone to guide you, or purchase a kit that meets your requirements.
- APR has the Stage 3 and Stage 3+ kits that use big turbos, include software, and are pretty popular, though expensive.
- Stage 3 Kit (280HP) = $4499.00
- Stage 3+ Kit (333HP) = $5299.00

So if you plan on just chipping go APR or GIAC, both are great bang for the buck upgrades. If you think you MIGHT be doing a K04 turbo upgrade, but nothing else get a GIAC Chip so you can trade up. If you know you are going to go bigger soonish start talking to people and put together a kit and plan your supporting mods. You can get a GIAC chip for the mean time as they are easier to sell because people do want to go the K04 path.

Just my 2 cents.
eisman

Old 01-10-2006, 01:56 PM
Zombie Defense Force

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

ORIGINAL: Jeff

Thats because you were getting the wrong chip, all 3 times.. Id be bitter about it too... GIAC is supposed to be the shiznit with bigger turbo's isnt it? I think after the 2nd chip id call it quits.. Thats rediculous, and what, like over $1800 down the tube?????
no i just wanted more out of each chip. and each time something new would come out i would change, i actually didnt pay for the revo but i had a test set up for a while. i ran the apr chip for low boost, when i had stock clutch about 7-10psi, once i started turning it up i needed a better and more changeable chip. so we tried revo and it didnt work, then we used what i have now or atp chip with a limiwicks sp? tune. so now i want even more tuneability so i must get full standalone

Quick Reply: giac or apr?????