Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ghetto intake install

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 03:32 AM
3rd Gear
Default ghetto intake install

So I bought one of those cone filter and MAF adapters off ebay.

FIRST... the TB to cone adapter gasket needed heavy modification. I had to dremmel out a half an inch radius to fill the MAF's opening.

Second I had to drill out holes in which the MAF housing would fit the gasket.

Thirdly of all there were no bolts or nuts supplied to secure the MAF to the gasket they gave me. I secured the MAF, gasket, and adapter with zip ties (Temporarily!!!).

Overall though for $29 I am mildly satisfied. The intake sound is GREAT and it pulls a bit harder.

I left the bottom of the airbox in tact and left the intake from the front of the car in tact as well. I'll post pics as soon as I am able.

Old 08-18-2006, 02:38 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: ghetto intake install

A few bucks on lowes and I can rest assured that the assembly isn't going anywhere. While I was in there I cleaned the MAF as well. Have I noticed any difference? Fuel mileage seems a little better, but I'll leave that judgement to the next tank.

In my past few days of having the intake on i'm thinking of modifying the top of the stock airbox to fit the cone. This will hopefully reduce heat soak. Nobody likes having a HAI.

Pics will be up later today.

Old 08-18-2006, 02:40 PM
Site Moderator

Sounds like ebay quality stuff. Pics?

Old 08-18-2006, 03:31 PM
1st Gear

lol o man ebay stuff.... glad im not like that. i cannot face the fact im putting something from ebay on my car when i know its cheap and not qulity when i just spent 10k or 20k on my car....yes lets put something on it cheap so it can break.

Old 08-18-2006, 03:59 PM
3rd Gear

Uh, ok man, whats going to break on it. The construction seems of good quality. The problem being this kit was "universal" so I had to do some modification myself.

I see no reason to drop $200 on an intake...

Old 08-18-2006, 04:23 PM
4th Gear

+1 I got a "ebay intake" and it fit perfectly and works just the same as the $200 ones. Most ebay products aren't good quality, my general rule is anything electrical or complicated can't be trusted, but the intake is a simple non mechanical bolt-on.

Old 08-18-2006, 04:47 PM
Site Moderator

Yeah, most ebay stuff is chintsy, but there are some quality a4 products like lip spoilers/rs4 reps and uh... keychains... You cant expect plug and play from something that is for universal fitment.

Old 08-18-2006, 05:18 PM
1st Gear

I agree, there are some things that are worth the price you pay from ebay and that way can save more money towards the other mods you will not be purchasing off ebay and cost more... it's all cost/benefit analysis, or something like that

Old 08-18-2006, 06:08 PM
3rd Gear

The problem was that the listing led me to believe it required no modification. I probably should've known better.

Old 08-18-2006, 06:15 PM
SoCal Crew Member

when you put on the cone filter, what did you do with those sensors or wires on the top of the airbox? what are those anyways... temp?

Quick Reply: ghetto intake install