Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is getting Vag-Com as easy as getting a cable and downloading software?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 01:29 AM
1st Gear
Default Is getting Vag-Com as easy as getting a cable and downloading software?

I was looking ebay tonight and figured I'd look up Vag-Com. It came up with a bunch of listing for cables and a software CD. Some $20-$30 bucks. I figured that this can't be right. Or is it?

I saw a guy selling a laptop w/Vag-Com already installed on it with all the cables. It was going for $200+.

So, what is the best way to get Vag-Com? Ross-Tech? Ebay?

Old 07-14-2006, 12:53 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Is getting Vag-Com as easy as getting a cable and downloading software?

Ross-Tech or a Ross-Tech dealer.

Old 07-14-2006, 04:53 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Is getting Vag-Com as easy as getting a cable and downloading software?

Get the real thing or you'll be wasting your money.

Old 07-14-2006, 06:09 PM
1st Gear

I cant remember exactly what i read but if you look on the ross-tech site, they say something about the software you get will only work on 1 computer and once registered, cant be used anywhere else...also if my numbers are correct, i believe they charge $99 for the software, so if u bought a cable for 20-30 off ebay, you're looking at $130, why not pay $20 more and be guaranteed the real product? I dont know if ross-tech offers free shipping ...if they dont, check out awe-tuning.com ...they sell vag-coms too.

Old 07-14-2006, 06:12 PM

$99 for software licence, software is free but limited in use (very limited)

Old 07-14-2006, 06:24 PM

I just got mine. I went to ross-tech, the original developer, and bought the key-usb dongle. It was ~$250 shipped. I then went to the site and downloaded the vag-com software to my laptop. When paired with the dongle, it becomse teh full version.

This is what you want to do imho.

The key-usb dongle has a software unlock code in it so you can install the unregistered vag-com software on any pc but it will become the full version once it's paired with the dongle. It's the best option because you are not just paying $250 for the physical parts but also the software license that turns out to be portable via the dongle.

The other option you have is to get those cheapo cables from ebay and purchase a full copy of the vag-com software. It may be cheaper in the end but a hassle because you can only install the software on a single computer! If you want to move it to another, you have to go through some sort of disable procedure where you send notice to ross-tech and they have you do something so you can then move it to another pc. If you plan on using a single laptop for a long time then you can consider this.

I still think the real ross-tech dongle key-usb is the way to go.

Old 07-14-2006, 06:34 PM

for Audi only users its the best and saves $$$$££££££ no good for me though I work on all cars so snapon - Sykes pickervant - sun diagnostics and costs @#~"%^&££££[:@]