Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gapping spark plugs is a true PITA

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 12:20 AM
1st Gear
Default gapping spark plugs is a true PITA

well I just got back from autozone, i got myself 6 denso iridium spark plugs along with this annoying little spark plug gapper thing

http://img79.echo.cx/my.php?image=dsc006672tl.jpg

Well I start gapping my plugs at .035 and all of a sudden the tip of one of my plugs just SNAPS OFF, AAAAHHHH!!!!! I kinda jabbed this little coin adjuster thingy in there on accident. Well i was wondering if i should get a new one or if this one will still work, Its just the very tip that snapped off. I would take a pic but I cant get my camera to focus on the tip. Anyway, I was wondering if I had to get the gap to be exactly .035 becuase getting exact is a true PITA. I usually get it around .035-.036-.037 or so. <<<will I notice a negative diffrence if its just a tad bit off? I was also wondering if using this little adjuster thing was bad for the plugs becuase it rubs against the tips a little bit, not much but it does, a tad.

Im really pissed off about that one plug, but at least I saw an rs6 on my way home, that really made my day

Old 06-26-2005, 01:42 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: gapping spark plugs is a true PITA

anyone there?

Old 06-26-2005, 09:34 AM
4th Gear

This is not an adjuster. That just measures the gap. To adjust the gap wider, you need to grab the ground electrode toward its base and apply some torque. You dont put any pressure at any time on the tip. I'd get a new plug. As a matter of fact, I get a whole new set as far as I' m concerned iridium pluga are just marketing hype.

Old 06-26-2005, 11:11 AM
Senior Administrator

/\/\/\DITTO/\/\/\

Old 06-26-2005, 07:01 PM
1st Gear

well i saw a post by daft saying that you shouldnt gap the denso iridium plugs with the coin gappers becuase they put too much stress on the electrode, and they can chip or bend the tip. Im really worried now, cuase ive gapped all of my plugs with it , i was very careful and i dont see any visible damage to the tips. But i still dont know if i have damaged them, should I be worried? Is there a way to check if they are damaged or still good?

Old 06-26-2005, 07:07 PM
1st Gear

should i only be worried if i see actual physical damage?

Old 06-26-2005, 10:23 PM
1st Gear

well i got myself one of those craftsman gap measuring things, and its awesome.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...p;vertical=TOOL

I was wondering if i should worry about damaging the delicate iridium tip even though the blades are very very smooth. Should i worry about damage using this tool?

Old 06-27-2005, 06:36 AM
1st Gear

bump

Old 06-27-2005, 02:45 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: mlo517

well I just got back from autozone, i got myself 6 denso iridium spark plugs along with this annoying little spark plug gapper thing

http://img79.echo.cx/my.php?image=dsc006672tl.jpg

Well I start gapping my plugs at .035 and all of a sudden the tip of one of my plugs just SNAPS OFF, AAAAHHHH!!!!! I kinda jabbed this little coin adjuster thingy in there on accident. Well i was wondering if i should get a new one or if this one will still work, Its just the very tip that snapped off. I would take a pic but I cant get my camera to focus on the tip. Anyway, I was wondering if I had to get the gap to be exactly .035 becuase getting exact is a true PITA. I usually get it around .035-.036-.037 or so. <<<will I notice a negative diffrence if its just a tad bit off? I was also wondering if using this little adjuster thing was bad for the plugs becuase it rubs against the tips a little bit, not much but it does, a tad.

Im really pissed off about that one plug, but at least I saw an rs6 on my way home, that really made my day
well i would RETURN those plugs. autozone offers plugs that dont need to be gapped. i bought some BOSCH platinum ones and in the computer it said they didnt have to be re-gapped..

obviously this is a DIY project im just wondering how hard is it? cuz i still havent put my plugs in since i still havent bought a set of wires..

Old 06-27-2005, 06:25 PM
1st Gear

when you guys talk about damage, is it physical damage that you can see, like bending or breaking? Or is it microscopic damage on the tip that you cant notice with the human eye? Because I measured them with the craftsman gauge gap measuring thing, its very very smooth. So there is no physical damage that is visible, but im still worried that I might have damaged them somehow in a way that I cant see (like from rubbing the tip with the blades of the measuring tool), becuase there is so much talk on how easy it is to damage these tips.

Quick Reply: gapping spark plugs is a true PITA