Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

future audi owner, Q's about the a4

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 11:39 PM
Default future audi owner, Q's about the a4

hey everybody, im a college freshman, (so im poor) ive always loved audis ever since i was little, ive always wanted to get one, but i always end up buying cheap cars. i promised myself that my next car is gonna be an audi.

ive mainly been looking at the A4 2.8 V6, around a 1998, because in 98 they added some horsepower and torque right? well i have a few questions:

1. i know the 2.8 is faster than the 1.8T, but is there any difference in handling?

2. ive been reading about some sport package that gave it a better suspension, and a different steering wheel. how much better is the handling with this package? and when im looking at audis, how can i tell that it has this option, is the steering wheel always different if it has the sport suspension? is it possible to have the upgraded steering wheel and not have the upgraded suspension?

3. how much more expensive are german parts compared to domestic parts? and how much harder are they to find?

4. if i buy a 98 2.8 with about 100k-120k miles that was pretty well maintained, what kind of parts can i expect to go bad, and how often??

5. how is the 95-96 A4's handeling compared to the 98-00s? any difference?

6. does your car insurance go up when you have a sweet ride like this, is so by how much?

7. is there any 98-99 2.8 owners out there that have any advise? pros, cons, anything to look for when buying, etc?

thanks everybody!!

Miller

Old 02-20-2006, 12:06 AM
6th Gear
Default RE: future audi owner, Q's about the a4

hey everybody, im a college freshman, (so im poor)
I'd stay away from an Audi if I were you. This is not the car for someone who isn't prepared to spend a lot of money on repairs. Don't get me wrong they are great cars, just expensive. Way more than a Honda or Toyota.

2. The sport package is a must. Having owned two A4's one with and one without, i'll never buy one without sport package. You can tell because the car will sit about an inch lower with the sport. Also if you look behind the wheel you'll see red shocks in the sport package cars. They will be black if they are non-sport. Yes sport package always has a 3 spoke steering wheel. Some non-sport A4's have the 3 spoke wheel too so that doesn't mean it has sport package. Yes it is retrofittable.

3. Not really hard to find. They are only offered at Audi dealers or online parts stores like Clairparts.com.

4. Make sure the timing belt service has been done. Control arms and tie rods tend to go out at this mileage.

5. Same

6. No not really by much

7. Good choice in avoiding the 96-97 2.8 engine. I've owned it and it tends to be a dog in performance.

Old 02-20-2006, 12:18 AM
5th Gear

The 2.8 is only faster stock, but for very little money the 1.8 will surpass the 2.8 as far as performance goes

Old 02-20-2006, 05:00 PM

thanks guys. is there any difference in handling between the 1.8 and 2.8? and is either the 1.8 or 2.8 known for having more mechanical problems?? i care about power, but i care more about handling, i live deep in the boondocks and i have to drive around twisty back roads all the time. how do the newer a4 audi's handling compare to the older ones? like 4000s, 5000s, 90s and 100s?

Old 02-20-2006, 05:30 PM
18T
4th Gear

if you want good handling get the 1.8T. If you want Really good handling get coilovers or a spring/shock combo. (h&R/bilstein)

the 1.8t model is also highly modable with after market parts. with the 2.8 you really cant do anything except a 5000$ SC. for 500$ you can get the 1.8T to be at over 200hp. if you upgrade the exaust system you will help it out alot. there are many links for different companies. if your not sure just ask.

never spend all your money because this car tends to kick you in the nuts everytime you look away!

Old 02-20-2006, 07:53 PM
1st Gear

Can't really help you with long term costs about the car because I've own it for just 6-7 months. I got a 2000 2.8L and I think the car is amazing. I totally agree with the other owners that audi's are expensive when it comes to maintenance, way more than a Toyota, Hyundai, Civic, etc etc. Specially if u won't do your own service: dealers are way way expensive and independent shops won't be gentle either.

Parts aren't a problem. U can get those anywhere from the web. Just as easy as getting american/jap parts, i guess.

Handling of the car is just amazing. I've driven a 1.8T from a friend of mine and also feels good, i would say maybe even better than the 2.8.

I know the 1.8 is easily modded and it gets fast - even faster than the 2.8. Just check this forum and the web and u'll see a lot of stuff for that.

Insurance - u are probably gonna have the same package I do (college student here :P under 25) and in my case it actually went down from my previous car. I dont know how it is with the 1.8T ot the S4 but my insurance is way cheaper than I expected for a car like this.

And in a more personal note, the audi rules! I mean, i've had faster cars and also cheaper ones, but this car is a whole new class by itself. Runs great, feels great (heck i get motivated every day I wake up just bc I'm gonna drive it to campus) and will always be a notch above any american or jap car (sorry to the all the mustang, ford, hyundai etc owners, but it's true)

But this is just my opinion :P

Good luck on the new car hunt!

Old 02-20-2006, 09:24 PM
1st Gear

My car is about 16 month old. The costs were covered under warrantee. But in 16 months my car has been in the shop for more than 2 months total. 6 weeks for a mirror whistle and rattle in a fender. I don't know those 6 weeks worth of work and rental car would cost, but the transmission they just replaced would be almost 12,000.

My 1992 taurus has been in the shop for 5 hours and has cost me $600 in the last 5 years. Just for comparison.

Old 02-21-2006, 12:44 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: j_ripper19

And in a more personal note, the audi rules! I mean, i've had faster cars and also cheaper ones, but this car is a whole new class by itself. Runs great, feels great (heck i get motivated every day I wake up just bc I'm gonna drive it to campus) and will always be a notch above any american or jap car (sorry to the all the mustang, ford, hyundai etc owners, but it's true)
this is SO true

i'v driven all my friends cars, mutangs, silvias, fc's, toyotas, civics, integ's and none of them make you feel like a driver like the audi does

im riding on stock suspension, and i can already keep up with my friends silvia who's on coilovers, granted he's not a very good driver, but still...

my audi is my first car, so i am not TOO experienced, but i'v driven other cars, and i just know that im gonna have a hard time finding my next car because there are not alot of cars that can be on par with the audi...

good luck on the hunt, btw, what college are you attending?

Old 02-21-2006, 01:33 AM
3rd Gear

Let me put it to you like this man: If you don't know how to work on your own car an Audi is not something for any college student. Unless its new or fairly new you're going to have a heck of a time having a mechanic charge you an arm and a leg for parts and labor. Just don't do it.

I'm looking at Audi's and I'm in college, but I've tackled some serious jobs on cars in my few years. If you're not willing or able to fix it yourself when something goes wrong you're asking for a money sinkhole.

The timing belt is something that will make or break you with those 2 engines. If the belt snaps (due to it not being replaced at the specified interval) you're basically looking at serious engine damage. At best you'll need a new cylinder head.

Old 03-06-2006, 02:38 AM

i goto a small D3 college, thaddeus stevens, payin for tuition out of my pocket every semester, so im pretty broke, thats why i was asking about the audi 4000,5000,90,100, etc. how is their handling compared to the a4?

Quick Reply: future audi owner, Q's about the a4