Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Filter Replacement $$$$$$$$$!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 06:43 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Fuel Filter Replacement $$$$$$$$$!

ORIGINAL: Hecareth

Well according to what the shops told me, it is the labor involved with replacing a fuel filter on the quattro, since it is positioned in a weird area. The guy said the computer is coming up with 5-6 hours of labor.
Thats probably because they think they need to drop the fuel tank.. All you have to do is take the right brace/bracket off and sort of bend it down to get access to the filter. I thought they were in the same location on all models.

Old 04-07-2006, 06:48 PM

the filter is in an easily gained area because its a service item, in no way would Audi have placed an item that gets changed regular in a bad place, they are using the 4x4 as an excuse to fleece your wallet, fuel tank doesnt need to come off neither does the Axel the filter is easily accessible

Old 04-07-2006, 06:53 PM

when car jacked up the filter and accumulator are covered by a plastic cover just forward of the left hand wheel "driver side in the USA" the filter is the rear one near the gas tank 6 or 8 mm bolts I think hold the plastic cover on

Old 04-07-2006, 06:55 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: avant80@2.6

the filter is in an easily gained area because its a service item, in no way would Audi have placed an item that gets changed regular in a bad place, they are using the 4x4 as an excuse to fleece your wallet, fuel tank doesnt need to come off neither does the Axel the filter is easily accessible
Its not as easy of a job as you make it sound. You do need to drop the tank a little and even then, accessing it can be difficult.. you are talking about an Audi right?? I have read multiple DIY's for fuel filter replacement and every one of them says its kind of tricky, and not in a "easy" to access location. Id say that the 4-5 hour quote is extreme though.

Old 04-07-2006, 07:06 PM

I cant see that being right " I haven't changed any of the newer ones lately " but in all honesty I cant see Audi making that mistake on a service item and I do many cars and have never seen this sort of problem

Old 04-07-2006, 07:14 PM
Site Moderator

I cant see that being right " I haven't changed any of the newer ones lately " but in all honesty I cant see Audi making that mistake on a service item and I do many cars and have never seen this sort of problem
Are you being sarcastic when you say that "Audi making that mistate on a service item" cant be right???????? That would be a completely crazy statement, especially coming from a mechanic! Audi is known to have made mutiple mistakes in some of their designs. Im really not trying to be a *****, but it doesnt sound like you have done a fuel filter replacement on a B5 at all. Its located on top of the gas tank and to get to it it needs to be dropped slightly, and getting the hoses off of it is a task in itself...I have been putting off this job until warmer weather because of this. Its just not like my maxima, or a lot of other cars, where its located in plain eye sight in the engine bay with 2 hoses that simply un-clamp to get it off.

Old 04-07-2006, 07:26 PM

me be sarcastic lol I quote from the bible "Audi that is" why on earth would the place an external filter above the gas tank?? and create work for their necks when they are lazy sods " not being funny at all mate ", you can either have a direct feed from the tank or a filter external that's how systems work, internal with external filter has a lifter pump in the tank, internal pump doesnt nor does it have an accumulator so what do you know that I dont??

Old 04-08-2006, 12:09 AM
Site Moderator

me be sarcastic lol I quote from the bible "Audi that is" why on earth would the place an external filter above the gas tank?? and create work for their necks when they are lazy sods " not being funny at all mate ", you can either have a direct feed from the tank or a filter external that's how systems work, internal with external filter has a lifter pump in the tank, internal pump doesnt nor does it have an accumulator so what do you know that I dont??
huh?

Old 04-08-2006, 02:42 PM
1st Gear

one sits against the car and is in full side view and is attached by hose and clamps:2wd.one is next to gas tank ,side view and can see and easily get to banjo fittings:quattro wagon.last is one seen in picture and is tucked into front of gas tank opening with only one banjo fitting visible,and is most difficult to change but not supposed to be as much work as that post made it seem:awdsedan.

Old 04-08-2006, 04:50 PM
2nd Gear

It is an easy task according to the haynes manual.
--
FIrst get the filter (the expensive part)
Then look in your owners manual and find the fuel pump fuse, pull it and try to start the car (to relieve pressure) (2-3 seconds).
Then, get something to catch all the gasoline.
Then pull the two fittings. One of them you can reach easily, you remove that first, then loosen/ remove the bracket, take the filter down a little and get the other fitting. THen replace and go in the reverse order of the steps to put it back up.

Now whether you have to drop the tank or not, I would say you can get in there with out dropping it. I have only seen it though, never done it. One of those fittings is in clear enough view though. And the sleeve that holds it.

It took me 20 minutes, but I have an A6 and it is under the hood right on top with no inconvenience. This is a job to do yourself seriously, cost of the fuel filter. Remember to take your old filter to your household haz waste site though (should be free) it is bad for the environment to throw it in the trash.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter Replacement $$$$$$$$$!