Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel delivery problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 05:01 PM
daz
Default Fuel delivery problem

Here's hoping someone can help.

I've recently got a Audi A4 2.5TDI Quattro Avant.

I've done a few hundred miles in it and the other day I popped down the shops, left it for 30 minutes and when I got back it started briefly then died. Would crank but not turn over.

The nice bloke from the RAC checked the fuel system and suspected a pipe loose in the tank as there was no fuel getting to the fuel filter.

As the fuel guage had also only been registering half full after filling up and the RAC bloke thought someone had been inside the tank I decided to investigate.

On opening the inspection cover the black connector on the fuel return side in the tank fell in two pieces and was held together with a tiewrap due to some bodging but everything else looks extremely new. The fuel sender appears to have been fouled by a hose and now seems to work ok but would the black connector on the rear of the inspection cover cause a failure to pump fuel if it came adrift?

It is possible that I dislodged the bodge repair when I openned the cover but could the pressure in the system cause this?

Other than the pump in the tank (Which incidently is on the fuel return side!!!) is there anything else worth checking?

Once I connected everything back together and primed the fuel system by filling the filter with diesel it started and appears to be ok at the moment. Also does anyone know what the technical term for the black connected on the underside of the inspection cover is called? It it pushed on the lid with a clip either side and is two piece with 2 hoses connecting to it.

Thanks in advance

Darren