Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front rear and center diff. fluid. what kind to use.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 08:57 PM
1st Gear
Default front rear and center diff. fluid. what kind to use.

hey everyone how is all? i just got back from iraq thanksgiving eve and am crazy excited about working on my car. i have a 98 a4 1.8t quattro auto. i am trying to figure out what kind of fluid i need for the 3 diffs. i went to the stealership to buy some stuff for my whip and boy they dont call them the stealership for nothing. they told me that the center diff fluid was different than the rest and that it cost around $30 a liter. i remember reading that they were all the same. autozone said it was gl-5 90. i misplaced my manual so i am not sure. i think i remember it being like 75w 90. what kind of fluid do they take and is it all the same fluid? well i also bought some tranny fluid from them. i bought 6 liters at 17 bucks a pop. expensive fluid. i was also going to get some caliper guide bolts but get this. they wanted over $40 for one. i went to autozone and bought a set (comes with 2) for 3.99. 40 bucks for one compared to 3.99 for two. what is up with the dealership? i was also going to do my timing belt myself but its too cold for me to work outside so i think im going to a vw audi shop on friday.
if anyone out there can help me with my diff fluid question i would really appreciate it. i am a newbie so please be patient with me. thank you.

Old 11-29-2005, 01:57 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: front rear and center diff. fluid. what kind to use.

Hi welcome back.

At the top of the forum page is a list of common links including sources of OEM parts, fluids etc.

The diff fluid is GL5 75W90.

Draining and filling the auto transmission is a pain. The car needs to be perfectly level to get the fill volume correct.

Capacity
Planet gear

Capacity
Planet gear
Automatic transmission

New filling
9.0 L
01V

Change
approx. 2.6 L

Lubricant
ATF

ATF is available as a replacement part (is also referred to as VW ATF).

Container size 0.5 L -part number G 052 162 A1

Container size 1.0 L -part number G 052 162 A2

Only ATF available as a replacement part must be used in the planetary gear of the automatic transmission 01V.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

00-23

Final drive-front

Capacity
Final drive
Automatic transmission

New filling
0.82 L
01V

Change
Filled for life, no replacement

Lubricant
Gear oil

SAE75 W90

(synthetic-oil)

Gear oil SAE 75 W90 (synthetic oil) is available as a replacement part.

Container size 0.5 L -part number G 052 145 A1

Container size 1.0 L -part number G 052 145 S2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

00-24

Center differential

Capacity
Center differential
Automatic transmission

New filling
0.8 L
01V

Change

Lubricant
Gear oil

SAE75 W90

(synthetic-oil)

00-25

Rear final drive

Capacity
Final drive
Rear final drive

New filling
1.9 L
01H

Change

Lubricant
Gear oil

SAE75 W90

(synthetic-oil)

Old 11-29-2005, 02:00 AM
2nd Gear

i applaud you for your bravery in fighting for our country!!!!!!!!!!!![sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 11-29-2005, 03:08 AM
1st Gear

1st of all thanks for helping me out with my question. ok which is the appropriate link? i tried to find it but am lost as to where it is. according to that list i need 9 liters of fluid not 6. is this correct or am i wrong? i asked the audi mech at the dealership and he said between 5 and 6 liters. also on the ecstuning website it says the same thing, that im going to need between 5 and 6 liters of fluid when i change the xmsn filter. i apologize for my lack of knowledge. i try to do searches b4 i ask questions but sometimes i cant find the answers im looking 4.
so i can use gear oil from autozone then. i saw some synthetic gl5 75w 90 from either mobil or castrol (i forgot) for about 3 bucks a qt. sounds good. oh if there are any central ct. people on this site just wanted to say whats up. i just purchased a vagcom. i havent tried it yet but once i get the hang of using it, if anyone needs help finding a code or something, and if im available send me a holla and ill try to help you out.

thanks for the applaud and the welcome home. i just want to ask to keep on supporting our soldiers, marines, sailors, and airmen @ home and abroad. and to keep us in your prayers. thanks.