Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end shimmy

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 05:35 PM
Default RE: Front end shimmy

nop it balancing problem is people ask questions and don't give feedback sorta like saying thank you now F-OFF but the majority cant suffer for the minority[:@] so next time he posts ill be watching

Old 06-06-2006, 05:39 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: north5995

Well the wheel balancing would be the obvious start. It seems that Dlowe doesn't want to figure things out, he wants an answer. The next step would be swapping tires around to see if it moves, like you said. The only other thing I can think of, could a bad wheel bearing cause this?

We have always only had the wheel balancing problem. If the car was in an accident, that may be an assocaited problem.
I'm with you there. I'm going to drive about 200 miles first just to "break in" my tires, and then I'll take it in to get a rebalance done.

A wheels bearing wouldn't cause the shimmy, especially within that narrow mph band. It seems the people who have/had this shimmy report it's only around 50-60mph and it's smooth before and after that. That's pretty odd. Typically, most balancing machines tend to balance really well in that range.
A wheels bearing typically creates a very loud grinding noise that gets louder as speed increases. Also, during breaking the grinding sound can be quite loud as there is more load put on the front bearings due to weight shift under braking.
But, it would be possible to get some shimmy from a very badly worn bearing as it can allow the wheel/tire to move in and out. However, by that point of wear the bearing would be extremely loud and there should be smoke coming from it due to the excessive friction of the internal bearing "*****" being squared off due to dirt and lack of lubrication.
But, anything is possible. It could be very loose tolerance in a bearing that still has rounded ***** and plenty of lube. If it's that bad over time it'll start to square and get very loud.

Have there been any reports of bad bearings on the recent A4?

Old 06-06-2006, 05:45 PM
3rd Gear

I HAD THIS PROBLEM, AND GOT IT SOLVED...GUESS WHAT IT WAS.... i got my wheels balanced...so maybe you should listen to the people THAT YOU ASK for advice. Getting your wheels balanced takes freakin 10 bucks and 10 minutes. Just run down to a tire shop and get it done, its by any means nothing that you need to "wait for the weekend" AND its nothing by any means that needs to be "taken to the STEALERSHIP"....seriously dude ur thinking of like a million things that could be wrong, and scheduling in a time to go to the stealership just to get ur tires balanced. spend 10 bucks and get it fixed, dang.

if its not wheel balancing than you gotta bent rim.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:03 PM

I have to agree with you there don't fix things that don't need fixing, chances are its just wheel balancing but check the wear pattern on the tyres as the garage should do to confirm if the wheels need realignment ( but never suggest that to them ) because they will give any reason to do it (((MONEY)))

Old 06-06-2006, 06:39 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: AteUrV8

I HAD THIS PROBLEM, AND GOT IT SOLVED...GUESS WHAT IT WAS.... i got my wheels balanced...so maybe you should listen to the people THAT YOU ASK for advice. Getting your wheels balanced takes freakin 10 bucks and 10 minutes. Just run down to a tire shop and get it done, its by any means nothing that you need to "wait for the weekend" AND its nothing by any means that needs to be "taken to the STEALERSHIP"....seriously dude ur thinking of like a million things that could be wrong, and scheduling in a time to go to the stealership just to get ur tires balanced. spend 10 bucks and get it fixed, dang.

Who are you responding/talking to?

Old 06-06-2006, 06:48 PM

helloooooo are you in there???? the response is to every one who answers
ORIGINAL: 2.0TS

Old 06-06-2006, 06:53 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: avant80@2.6

helloooooo are you in there???? the response is to every one who answers
ORIGINAL: 2.0TS

Are you intentionally trying to be argumentative and trolling?

Old 06-06-2006, 07:01 PM

no but it seems you are, does it matter who the answer was directed?? as long as an adequate answer was given then leave it at that

Old 06-06-2006, 07:08 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: avant80@2.6

no but it seems you are, does it matter who the answer was directed?? as long as an adequate answer was given then leave it at that
I asked someone else the question. Perhaps you would be less provocative if you didn't answer for them?
The question was not asked of you.

Also, the answer given was not adequate as it simply repeated something already suggested, and it was stated rather rudely.
I didn't want to address the poster as I wanted to know what his intent was.

Old 06-06-2006, 07:15 PM

apologies again are you a moderator or a teacher of the English language, please don't come here to start trouble as im sure there are many waiting to take you up on your challenge

Quick Reply: Front end shimmy