Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fmic vs smic?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 11:11 AM
1st Gear
Default fmic vs smic?

ive heard from multiple people that you can get almost the same amount of flow from sidemount without blocking the radiator and with less piping. are they as efficiant as a front mount like ive heard?

Old 11-02-2006, 11:52 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: fmic vs smic?

No, it is not that's why people who has big turbo, has to go with fmic to avoid the heatsoak. fmic a lot larger and direct touch to cold air to decrease the intake temp. and it is larger than the smic

Old 11-02-2006, 12:04 PM

As stated above but if your only going K04 there is a company that make a larger SMIC that will work well and save you a load of hassle but any bigger and you will have to go FMIC for sure although its been stated that a FMIC dose not work well on the S4's but that’s another story.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:43 PM

I just switched from the stock SMIC to a FMIC and I've noticed a huge difference. The piping distance was actuall less with my FMIC.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:01 PM
1st Gear

what kinda difference did you notice?

Old 11-02-2006, 04:22 PM
3rd Gear

if you ever looked at the direction on how to put that larger SMIC in i would rather just go with the FMIC and save some of the hassle, just hook it up and leave your old SMIC there.. to much crap has to come apart im way to lazy

Old 11-02-2006, 04:29 PM

While we are on the subject. Has any A4 owners noticed any overheating when they switched to a FMIC or do you use extra fans to provide more air flow past the intercooler?

Old 11-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: Flip

While we are on the subject. Has any A4 owners noticed any overheating when they switched to a FMIC or do you use extra fans to provide more air flow past the intercooler?
There are fans on the opposite side of the radiator for supplemental cooling if needed. The only thing that may be a worry is the fmic (depending on how tall it is) can restrict air flow to the AC condensor which might have an affect on your AC performance.

Old 11-02-2006, 05:45 PM

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

There are fans on the opposite side of the radiator for supplemental cooling if needed. The only thing that may be a worry is the fmic (depending on how tall it is) can restrict air flow to the AC condensor which might have an affect on your AC performance.
So will it run any hotter or are the stock fans great workers?

Old 11-02-2006, 05:49 PM

With my FMIC i have noticed more low end torque and overall more power due to the colderair. when I'm stopped for a minute or so is the only time my engine will reach the normal temp it did while runing stock, the rest of the time it runs a little cooler now.

Quick Reply: fmic vs smic?