Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FMIC question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 05:34 PM
1st Gear
Default FMIC question

now i know that the main reason to upgrade your IC is to keep everything cooler. but can you feel any difference in the motor or performance after you get a FMIC and also can you hear the turbo spooling louder with more air going in or anything like that?

I also hear of a lot of people getting the mini FMIC that are like 22X6X3 with a 2.5" inlet and outlet are they good enough to use and are the reliable anyone with any first hand expiernce?

Old 06-14-2007, 05:37 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: FMIC question

I have one of those also. almost the same size. I have not put it in yet though but hopefully will do that this week sometime. I will let you know how it goes.

Josh

Old 06-14-2007, 05:47 PM
4th Gear

I will also be installing mine this week which is about that size. I would have it installed but need to get a flange installed on the pipe before I can get it in there.

I do know that 2.5" is a lil big for the K03 and could loose a lil psi., but I went with it anyhow because i will be going larger and at 20psi I can spare 1-2. If staying with the K03 go with 2.25" pipe.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:57 PM
4th Gear

Yeah I am getting my pipe today and I need to get the bracket made... not sure where i will have that done yet. I need to call one of my friends who can weld. LOL

Josh

Old 06-14-2007, 06:11 PM
4th Gear

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...a/P4180390.jpg

This is probably what I am going to use for fabrication. Its aluminum and almost fits the pipe as you can see. I just need it welded to the pipe. I called a few shops but they wanted around $130-150 just to make a stupid flange and weld or $70-90 just to weld! lol <is all I had to say.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:17 PM
1st Gear

Hey.....I just spoke with a guy over at www.supremepowerparts,com just about this subject and they sell a racetech FMIC. They use 2 in piping and he says there is only a .3 psi boost drop. The FMIC itself is 20x10x2. That is especially good for us B5ers because we won't have to cut our bumpers. The news gets even better......
If you can order it by Friday (to be safe), Wednesday at the lastest, you can get in on a group buy. It is an audizine group buy, and you can get the whole set up for 775, instead of 899.00. And if they get above 30 orders by Wednesday, he said he will drop the price down to 750.00. After he said that he got kinda funny, and said he was gonna close it tomorrow,....but I think he just wanted me to put in my order as soon as possible

Old 06-14-2007, 06:17 PM
2nd Gear

with mine i felt maybe a little bit more pull. the growl is a little bit deeper. mines rather smaller with a 2.5" outlet. hope this helps

Old 06-14-2007, 06:29 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: new2me

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...a/P4180390.jpg

This is probably what I am going to use for fabrication. Its aluminum and almost fits the pipe as you can see. I just need it welded to the pipe. I called a few shops but they wanted around $130-150 just to make a stupid flange and weld or $70-90 just to weld! lol <is all I had to say.
How is that going to hold your FMIC in??? I am going to build something like this:
TheBishops $150 FMIC

Josh

Old 06-14-2007, 07:40 PM
2nd Gear

less_of_me, dont go out and waste your money just cause there is a group buy. If you didnt know, there have been several DIY intercooler jobs on here or have been discussed. You can buy a intercooler for $160, 2.5 piping for $75 (all you need), and some couplers for real cheap on ebay. I and several other people i talked to did they same thing and saved a shitload of money. The only other thing you have to do is buy metal pieces to fabricate a bracket that will mount the intercooler. No need in wasting $500 just to have someone else make it. But by all means if you have money to spend for something that will perform the same way, go right ahead.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:44 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: A4Rollin

less_of_me, dont go out and waste your money just cause there is a group buy. If you didnt know, there have been several DIY intercooler jobs on here or have been discussed. You can buy a intercooler for $160, 2.5 piping for $75 (all you need), and some couplers for real cheap on ebay. I and several other people i talked to did they same thing and saved a shitload of money. The only other thing you have to do is buy metal pieces to fabricate a bracket that will mount the intercooler. No need in wasting $500 just to have someone else make it. But by all means if you have money to spend for something that will perform the same way, go right ahead.
Yeah for the DIY look 2 posts up and there is a DIY that TheBishop did. All for $150!

Josh

Quick Reply: FMIC question