Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It finally happened

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 02:01 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: It finally happened

we need a 1-800-HelpTomRitt fund ! Tom if it gets that bad, i think we can all send u some $.... good luck... hope u ake track day!

-bean

Old 10-08-2005, 05:42 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: flyboy

ORIGINAL: achTTung

Hey man, remember, you have a welder at your disposal, if it has a little damage, theres no harm in trying to fill in a ding, or a small crack on an otherwise worthless head.

Aluminum, tricky to weld. Cast Aluminum, damn near impossible. It can be done but jeez, Good luck though.

Very good point if you need to weld Aluminum find scrap pieces and test with. you need different tungsten rods to weld Alu. I'm not sure on the settings to use if it is AC or DC but I can find out for you.

Old 10-08-2005, 06:09 PM
4th Gear

That is some impressive tear down work. Good luck getting your ride up and running again.

Old 10-11-2005, 06:31 PM
3rd Gear

W00t parts are here, taking it to the shop tonight, and hopefully they will let me watch how the valve is taken out and how the new one is put in

Old 10-11-2005, 07:03 PM
Zombie Defense Force

what kind of shop are u talking it to?. i always like to watch people work on my car if i cannot do it so that way i can learn and get to save money next time it needs to be done

Old 10-11-2005, 07:10 PM
3rd Gear

well i live in the middle of nowhere so Im taking it to some ghetto shop down the rd, like 3mi away. They rebuilt my roomates saturn motor and let us come watch and take pics and the guys are cool there...hopefully they know what they are doing or hopefully they have a good insurance policy

Old 10-11-2005, 07:30 PM
2nd Gear

lol insurance policy, good luck tom. Can't wait to see the pictures of the engine going back together instead of apart.

Old 10-11-2005, 08:08 PM
4th Gear

those guys probly know more about it than your average machineshop.

Old 10-11-2005, 08:11 PM
5th Gear

Very good point if you need to weld Aluminum find scrap pieces and test with. you need different tungsten rods to weld Alu. I'm not sure on the settings to use if it is AC or DC but I can find out for you.
Aluminum, tricky to weld. Cast Aluminum, damn near impossible. It can be done but jeez, Good luck though.

Pssstt.....

(I'm a welder. I weld aircraft fuel controls, rocket ignition cases, and little tube things that go in Abrams tanks)

An Audi is nothin!

ha!

Old 10-11-2005, 08:15 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: achTTung

Pssstt.....

(I'm a welder. I weld aircraft fuel controls, rocket ignition cases, and little tube things that go in Abrams tanks)

An Audi is nothin!

ha!

Pssstt....
Good for you. Not everyone has the resorses to weld aluminum, I didn't say it couldn't be done. Its just not for the average iorn welder to takle on something like a cylender head.

Quick Reply: It finally happened