Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

finally got my boost gauge installed but have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 03:17 PM
2nd Gear
Default finally got my boost gauge installed but have a few questions

Alright, I finally got my boost gauge installed which turned out to be a little more of a PITA than I thought it was gonna be. I ended up drilling a hole thru the firewall for the line. Anyway, I have a few questions for ya'll:

1. My vaccuum is at 18 which previously I heard it should be at 20 and my maximum boost is around 15 psi. Now I have a 98.5 with the GIAC chip and I heard max boost should be around 20. If this is the case, I must have some sort of boost leak somewhere, so I'd just like to clarify that. Does less vaccuum equal a leak as well?

2. [I know this is a ridiculous question but keep in mind this is my first experience with a boost gauge] My gauge makes a really funny noise usually when it hits peak boost and the needle is on the way back down. It kind of sounds like metal is vibrating against another metal piece if that makes any sense at all. It's definitely a weird metallic sound. Now, is the gauge supposed to make a sound or do I need to open the mount back up and check everything? I just can't figure out how it could possibly be making this sound.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Old 01-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Default RE: finally got my boost gauge installed but have a few questions

What guage did you get? could be the pressure just going through the guage.. since the boost guages done use senders...

GIAC chips run at 14.7 PSI and can SPIKE to maybe 20? I dont even think that high...

dont worry sounds like its working right...

If it is a cheaper gauge it might not be as well vibro-proofed and could rattle a little more... I would worry about it though, could be all psycological.

Old 01-09-2006, 03:28 PM
2nd Gear

Ha ha...probably is psychological. It's a VDO gauge that I got from Pure MS, so it should be decent. I've seen other people on here with them. I wish I could take a pic but have no digital camera . Thanks a lot for your help.

Old 01-09-2006, 03:32 PM

yea VDO is good stuff.. looks pretty stock..

That happens to me all the time... im always hearing ****... turning down the radio .. listening ... them in like ... whatever...

Old 01-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: drkenan

Alright, I finally got my boost gauge installed which turned out to be a little more of a PITA than I thought it was gonna be. I ended up drilling a hole thru the firewall for the line. Anyway, I have a few questions for ya'll:

My boost gauge "rings" a little when boosting high.. I think it has something to do with the turbulance in the air that goes into it or something i read like that... With a 2000 a4 i boost around 16 or 17psi, vac is about 20-22, and i spike around 20 sometimes. My gauge from apr is a VDO too.

Old 01-09-2006, 03:42 PM
2nd Gear

That's interesting. So we have the same chip and you boost higher...must be the model year difference or something. Anyway, thanks a lot for your help. Sounds like I'm gonna have to live with the noise, although when I transfer it to my center vent I'll try to insulate it better.

Old 01-09-2006, 03:43 PM

you cant really get away from sounds .. when you are putting 17 PSI into your cabin.... if it was a sender you wouldnt hear it... but no need for that...

now.. people who run gas/oil into their cars instead of using senders ... they are stupid...

worst case scenarios..
boost gauges breaks/cracks... you get a nice breeze and loose power...

oil cracks/breaks: you get steaming hot oil in your lap.. you swerve out of control and crash...

fuel PSI cracks/breaks: you get gas flooding all over you, and you cell phone ignites it.. you scream as you burn to death.

Old 01-09-2006, 03:46 PM
2nd Gear

^^^[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 01-09-2006, 04:02 PM

Old 01-09-2006, 04:15 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: drkenan

That's interesting. So we have the same chip and you boost higher...must be the model year difference or something. Anyway, thanks a lot for your help. Sounds like I'm gonna have to live with the noise, although when I transfer it to my center vent I'll try to insulate it better.
I saw on ECS's web site there is a special T fitting which reduces or eliminates the buzzing/ringing sound.

Quick Reply: finally got my boost gauge installed but have a few questions