Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got around to painting the lowers (before/after pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 12:19 AM
1st Gear
Default Finally got around to painting the lowers (before/after pics)

The preperation was the hardest part, the sanding, cleaning, etc... The painting was actually quite fun. All the products used were catalyzed, hopefully the paint will stay nice for a long time. The NAPA store matched my stock paint using the factory code.

Here is a pic of the front bumper after preperation:

Front bumper after plastic adhesion promoter/sealer:

Front bumper after 2 basecoats:

Rear bumper after 2 basecoats:

Now I have to wait a couple of weeks before I do some finishing sanding/buffing. Hopefully, everything will turn out OK.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:47 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Finally got around to painting the lowers (before/after pics)

Cool, nice little paint booth you got set up.
Looks like its coming out nicely.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:52 AM
4th Gear

Looks good man, can't wait to see er on the ride

Old 04-08-2007, 07:51 PM
1st Gear

Nice! Always good to see DIY'er work in a luxury car/upper-market community (It's sort of rare in my experiances). A friend of mine in our car group has an E46 M3 in Laguna Seca Blue and he has done all of his own paintwork (bumpers, hood, etc) and maintenance/repairs and modifications. I have a lot of respect for that when it'd be so much easier for him to just drop it off somewhere and throw cash at them.

I'm surprised you didnt just remove the lowers from the upper portions of the bumpers though to make prep easier... although I guess with both parts attach it is easier to balance them.

What paint guns and compressor are you using if you don't mind me asking? I have a cheaper gun I bought from Harbor Freight that sort of does the job but I think it is best suited to primer/adhesian spraying. I'm contemplating picking up two more guns (one for paint/basecoat and another for clear) since I am going to repaint my 240 soon.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:09 PM

That looks like it is turnout out great, I can't wait to see the car.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:46 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Dopefish

I'm surprised you didnt just remove the lowers from the upper portions of the bumpers though to make prep easier...
I tried very hard to seperate the 2 parts but the plastic tabs that hold them together were just impossible to move, after a while I figured it would be easier and quicker to just mask the upper portion. Learning to do everything myself on the Audi was a decision I took after my warranty expired... also the fact that the closest dealership is 6hrs away helped!!! For the painting, I used a Titan 3 gun set I bought on eBay, I used the 1.4mm tip gun, the cfm consumption is good (the compressor could easily handle it). I used a 5HP, 20 gallon tank compressor, it worked very well. I bought some catalyzed paint using my paint code, plastic adhesion promoter, plastic sealer, and catalyzed clearcoat with a flex additive (I can bend the hell out of the parts and the paint doesn't crack, which is good for lowers). It went very well (my first attempt ever at body work), I still need to wait a couple of weeks and do some finishing sanding/buffing. The paint booth was a setup I organized in my garage.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:36 PM
1st Gear

nice.
what does it look like on the car.
pics?

Old 04-09-2007, 03:43 PM
4th Gear

Nice! lol Looks like my garage last summer when i was painting my T-bucket. I used clear plastic2 get more lightand 3 box fans wedged under the door for exhaust. My uncle let me use his guns which cost him around $100-150 for a set of 3 that worked nice.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:20 AM
Administrator

Looks great - I can't wait to see the finished results - definitely post pics when the car is back together.