Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeler: Carbon Fiber engine covers

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 04:17 PM
1st Gear
Default Feeler: Carbon Fiber engine covers

This is just a feeler post, but who would be interested in a quality carbon-fiber engine cover? They're available as plain carbon fiber or a carbon-kevlar hybrid. The Carbon-kevlar ones are available in red, yellow, and blue.

Right now, only B5 1.8T covers are available (unless that cover also fits the B6?) although given sufficient interest, others could be made available as well.

If you are interested, let me know and I'll try to put together a group buy.

Old 07-15-2004, 05:14 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Feeler: Carbon Fiber engine covers

Welcome to the forum Mirror70 !!

Who are you? Are you a vendor?

A newbie posting a GB can be a bit intimidating.
You'll need to tell us more about yourself and what the GB would entail.

Old 07-15-2004, 06:04 PM
1st Gear

Good point....

This is my first post on this forum. I am Mirror|rorriM on Audiworld and have, at last check, somewhere over 18,000 posts there. I use the same screen name on the Boston Audi Group forums and have around 14-1500 posts there. Many members have met me in person and I have bought and sold numerous parts through members of those websites. I have a 1998 A4 1.8TQm with lots of wheel gap and an APR chip.

Who am I? I am not a vendor. I am a Mechanical Engineering student who must pay for one more quarter worth of tuition before I can graduate. To pay this, I'm making and selling carbon fiber engine covers.

As I said above, the covers are made of either real carbon fiber or a carbon-kevlar hybrid. The carbon ones have the standard very cool CF look. The hybrids have carbon threads running one direction and dyed kevlar running across them. The kevlar is available in yellow, red, or blue.

The prices will vary a fair amount depending on how many people get in on the group buy. Buying the materials in bulk saves everyone money. For a guide, WJM on AudiWorld previously made and sold CF engine covers at a price of $225-250. With 25 committed buyers, I think I could sell them for about $200, or a savings of about 20%.

If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to ask. You can either reply to this post, email me, or send an IM to Mirror70.

Old 07-15-2004, 06:35 PM
3rd Gear

Very good response.

By the way: I know who you are and am confident in your representation, but I felt it was necessary for you to identify yourself.

I may be your first interested buyer. I'd be interseted in the Carbon-Kevlar unit - in YELLOW of course!

I need to know about reinforcements, latch vs hood pins, and the overall weight.

Old 07-15-2004, 06:44 PM
1st Gear

These are just engine covers, not hoods. They mount using the 3 factory screw-type things. Maybe I'll make things like hoods and fenders in the future, but right now I only have the facilities to make smaller items like engine covers.

I will post pics of the colored fabrics as soon as I have the samples.

Old 07-15-2004, 06:49 PM
3rd Gear

Oooops... my bad.
I've been doing this all day. I read something and my brain processes it as something else. Gonna go ask Dr Frankenstein if he can make an adjustment! [sm=smiley11.gif]

Anyway, post pics. Lets's see the stuff!

Old 07-16-2004, 04:12 AM
3rd Gear

The more I have thought about it, the more I want a set. Let me know about the yellow Carbo-Kevlar sets.

Old 07-16-2004, 07:49 PM
Site Moderator

When you get pics be sure to post them - I might be interested in a red one.

Old 07-16-2004, 08:05 PM
1st Gear

ok wuts the difference between an engine cover and a hood. I thought they were the same thing....guess i was wrong...haha

Old 07-16-2004, 09:04 PM
1st Gear

a hood is a hood, and u can see it all the time. if u pop it, u can see an engine cover. it emediatly covers the engine, and stays covered by the hood when closed? lol

Quick Reply: Feeler: Carbon Fiber engine covers