Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan coolant switch cause A/C not to work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 11:03 PM
3rd Gear
Default Fan coolant switch cause A/C not to work?

As the title states - Fan coolant switch cause A/C not to work?? - If my coolant temp sensor that causes the aux fan to turn on(hi or low speed) is in fact not causing it to turn on, would this cause my A/C to stop working? I have tested my hole fan system(every relay and fuse) and when I jump the wires before the sensor, my fan turn on. So this tells me that the sensor is not functioning properly. any thoughts?

Old 07-25-2007, 01:31 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Fan coolant switch cause A/C not to work?

i doubt that the case since when my sensor failed it didnt affect the A/C. more over is your car running lean, is the temp gauge fluctuating. these are the signs that the sensor has failed. is there refrigerent in teh system, the compressor wont turn on without sufficent refrigerent. how about fuses. did you try to jump the compressor, it could be the climate controlled failed or the compressor itself failed.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:17 AM
3rd Gear

I'm not talking about my coolant temp sensor that tells me the temp of the engine sorry for using that term. I'm talking about the sensor or switch that is near the bottom radiator hose. This switch is closed until the engine gets hot, it turns the aux fan on. when it gets really hot it turns the aux fan on hi. Here is the item at ECS they call it a Radiator Fan Switch.

As for the other things you mentioned - If I just the A/C relay between 87 and 30 the A/C turns on(so compressor is not the problem). I purchased a charge kit to fill the A/C and I have over 45lbs in the system, so that wasn't the problem. How would I test if the Climate control has failed? I still need to check the Hi and Lo pressure switches on the A/C lines - does anyone know where the A/C low pressure switch is on a 98.5, i've found the Hi(under the headlight).

Old 07-25-2007, 05:12 PM
3rd Gear

anybody

Old 07-25-2007, 05:25 PM
4th Gear

First of all, I like you much better now that your sig is re-done.
I'll like you even more once you paint those lowers!

Back to business, what are the symptoms? Just no cold air? You said compressor is running. and climate control seems to work. Does the secondary (a/c) fan turn on when the car is warmed up, and the a/c is on?

When you initially went to charge it, was it pressurized already, and you added a little, or was it empty, or what?

Just trying to gather more info, so I can try to help. I can try looking up the symptoms in the troubleshooting guide.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:04 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: acetrebo

First of all, I like you much better now that your sig is re-done. Thanks
I'll like you even more once you paint those lowers! Sometime in the next few mods

Back to business, what are the symptoms? Just no cold air? You said compressor is running. and climate control seems to work. Does the secondary (a/c) fan turn on when the car is warmed up, and the a/c is on?
No, nothin, A/C is turned on, but only blows hot air. Recirc button will not work, I push it and the little car comes up on the climate pannel and then it goes away when I release. I drove the car around till I got it up to operating temp and it was over 90* here. Aux fan would still not turn on. The Compressor comes on if I jump the relay(well I should say I get cold air if I jump the relay, no idea how to see if the compressor is working)

When you initially went to charge it, was it pressurized already, and you added a little, or was it empty, or what? I had to jump the relay to get the system to let me even put any in. and no I didn't need to put any in, it was at 40-45lbs already.

Earlier today I needed to go pick up the wife for lunch, so I jump the relay to get some A/C goin and I'm sittin outside her work(10min max between jump of relay to incident). suddenly, I hear a loud whoosh sound from under the hood, and white cloud comes bellowing out of the front. this was not smoke, not sure what it was. I was told that there is a pressure realease valve for emergency's on the compressor that releases at 500psi or somthing around that. no idea what the problem is with that. I havn't checked my R134a pressure yet, I hooked up my tester to the system and I still got a reading of normal.