Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

faint wind/humming noise above 25 mph

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 02:41 AM
1st Gear
Default faint wind/humming noise above 25 mph

Hello:

I have a 2006 A4 2.0 T and I luv it...sweet ride : ) It's got 450 miles on it.

Recently, I noticed that when I accelerate above approx 25 mph, I hear a faint humming noise from the engine. It's really faint (most people would probably not hear it, but I have a great sense of hearing), and I think I only started hearing it because I drove the other day without the radio on. Sometimes I believe that I can hear it after I take my foot of the gas, but while still going over 25 mph. But if I take my foot off the gas and go below approx 25 mph, I don't hear it.

The sound is like a faint wind noise coming through the vents, or like a light whirring noise. I think it's normal engine acceleration noise - it doesn't sound like anything is grinding.

When I noticed it yesterday, it was after I had driven around the airport a few times at about 35-45 mph for about 10-15 mins while waiting to pick up a friend. Could that have caused it? Is it normal engine acceleration noise? I definitely don' t hear it while pressing on the gas and going under approx 25 mph.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 12-31-2005, 10:29 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: faint wind/humming noise above 25 mph

hey guys, guess this is too neurotic for this board? i just get this way with new things...that's why i leased

Old 01-01-2006, 12:41 AM
1st Gear

any suggestions/comments would still be appreciated...

is this sound normal or am i being neurotic?

Old 01-01-2006, 12:56 AM
Administrator

what gear are you in when it does this? or does that matter.. for example it makes it while doing 25 in first and second and not third and above.. what RPM's? are you used to turbo charged cars? it could be as simple as your hearing the turbo kick in.. hard to say though

Old 01-01-2006, 01:12 AM
2nd Gear

It may just be your turbo man. mine with a stock airbox and a k&n filter you can def her a winding noice from the inside of the car i have a 1997 a4 1.8t. But i def could be wrong.

Old 01-01-2006, 01:50 AM
1st Gear

guys, thanks...i think you're right...

not sure what gear it's in...although i think it goes away when i'm going faster/in a higher gear...

but when i do hear it, it continues as long as my foot is on the gas and i'm maintaining speed...i also think that i still hear it when i take my foot off the gas but travelling at the same speed (until i slow down to below 25 mph or so, when the sound stops)...

i have a 2006 2.0T (according to the manual, it's a turbo, although i don't ahve to press anything to turn the turbo on, i think)...this would be my first turbo...

Old 01-01-2006, 02:17 AM
Administrator

Start Here the T in the 2.0T stands for Turbo..

Old 01-01-2006, 05:56 AM

ORIGINAL: cinescapist
i have a 2006 2.0T (according to the manual, it's a turbo, although i don't ahve to press anything to turn the turbo on, i think)...this would be my first turbo...
lol thats kinda funny...Don't worry bro im not laughing at you, im laughing with you. Engine knowledge has to start somewhere and this forum is a good place to start. BTW..theres no button for turbo-it just runs.

Old 01-01-2006, 06:04 AM
Administrator

yeah.. hopefully the link i posted will help.. we all werent born knowing what a turbo was.. we gotta start somewhere

Old 01-01-2006, 06:15 AM
4th Gear

just keep up the questions and reading the posts and you won't be in the dark for long. welcome, and I want your car.

Quick Reply: faint wind/humming noise above 25 mph