Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 09:43 PM
1st Gear
Default exhaust mod

So basically a neighbor of mine (40 yr old or so) works on his porsche's constantly, and i've seen him in his garage at least 4 times a week for the last 5+ years. Does everything himself and seems very knowledgeable about working on cars, OBVIOUSLY haha. Tells me that on his latest porsche (asuper clean'96 silver 911 coupe) that underneath the car right after the dual exhaust pipes come out of the single muffler (aftermarket cat-back) he drilled holes into the insides of the exhaust pipes and then welded a pipe in to connect the holes. Said a number ofhis porsche buddies have done the same ranging from 1 1/4" to 2" holes. The bigger the hole the louder the sound that comes out of the pipes. So my question is, has anybody ever tried this before or heard of somebody doin it? If so, how successful have they been with doin this mod?

Old 05-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Zombie Defense Force
Default RE: exhaust mod

im not getting what your saying. did he just put 2 large holes in each pipe. thats kind of like just cutting your exahust off.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:54 PM
1st Gear

he drilled into the inside of each pipe...then welded a pipe from one hole to the other, basically it causes the sound waves to reverberate and be louder.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:09 PM
I'm make believe

you want more sound get an exhaust
want more sound get rid of the resinator
more sound get rid of the cat
and most sound, strait pipes.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:12 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

i have a magnaflow exhaust...but id like it to be a little louder...im in california so i cant get rid of the cat and it be smog-able...same with straightpipes. I thought of doin all those, but if i could do this...be a lil louder and keep it 100% street legal thatd be the best. I dont like to give cops reasons to pull me over and start handing me fix it tickets. The other thing is the resinator...realizing im gunna sound like a total n00b...how to i get rid of that?

Old 05-04-2007, 10:19 PM
4th Gear

Old 05-04-2007, 10:30 PM
I'm make believe

its like another muffler, but smaller, aka mid muffler. You can have a shop remove it and weld in strait pipe. It isnt a emmission item but a sound item. It will take you up the extra dB that you seem to be looking for.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:34 PM
1st Gear

its like another muffler, but smaller, aka mid muffler. You can have a shop remove it and weld in strait pipe. It isnt a emmission item but a sound item. It will take you up the extra dB that you seem to be looking for.
thanks man, ill have to look into that.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:42 PM
Zombie Defense Force

o ya remember your a 1.8 so you only have on pipe coming off the turbo. i guess you could do it after they split but i fail to see the point

Old 05-04-2007, 11:20 PM
I'm make believe

So was this mod like a bunch of H pipes?

Quick Reply: exhaust mod