Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emissions Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 04:13 PM
Zombie Defense Force
Default RE: automatic start question

as for the emmisions take it to the dealer Audi's do need emmision tests they just don't go on the rollers
my car went on the rollers 3 times

Old 11-10-2005, 04:25 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: Jestnomen

Bahh! Warming up cars is a carry over from Carburated vehicals of yesteryear. There's no need on our cars, in fact it harder on our engines.

isnt the reason we are not supposed to warm the car up is because it can do damage to that cat? The cat needs to be hot in order to work.. or something like that.

Old 11-10-2005, 04:25 PM

is your car non quattro ? or are you talking about a 4 wheel dyno ?

Old 11-10-2005, 04:36 PM
Zombie Defense Force
Default RE: Emissions Question

yes my car is quattro and no it was not a dyno it was to get emission tested, i went to the state emission place and they put my car on a 4 wheel roller, then they stuck a tube around my muffler and ran it on the rollers and i failed[:@]

Old 11-10-2005, 04:38 PM

wow I have never seen that even with my old integra I had a kit on it and I lowered the coilovers right down cause I new it would fail and they could not get it on the rollers so they just had to do a 2 speed idle test

Old 11-10-2005, 04:45 PM
1st Gear

Just for information,do you have a cat?

Like Jestnomen said,check your plugs,02 sensor and it would be nice to take a look at your exahust

Old 11-10-2005, 04:51 PM
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: Redgoat
isnt the reason we are not supposed to warm the car up is because it can do damage to that cat? The cat needs to be hot in order to work.. or something like that.
That used to be the case. That's why the car starts at 1200 rmps and we have heated O2 sensors.

I didn't write this but...

Many moons ago...

Back in the days of the carburator, there was a law that people lived by. And it said...

You must thoroughly warm up your engine before driving the car.

This law was deeply rooted in poor vaporization of the gas in a cold carburator and intake manifold. It was accepted then that it was best to warm up the so as to eliminate hesitation, stall, or throttle tip-in sag. While this scenario may have served the driver well, it was the worst possible scenario for the engine.

A cold engine experiences excessive wear due to the rich mixture required by the EFI system. This tends to wash fuel from the cylinder walls and aggravates wear between the rings and cylinder bores.

This driver believes that one should limit the amount of cold running time and accelerate the warming process. This can be done by driving the car at light load as soon as the oil pressure comes up to level.

An engine that is driven immediately will have much higher coolant and oil temperatures than one that idles for 5 minutes. At the same time you will also warm up the rest of the drivetrain like the transmission and wheel bearings. Something idling can not do.

Old 11-10-2005, 04:57 PM
Zombie Defense Force

Just for information,do you have a cat?

Like Jestnomen said,check your plugs,02 sensor and it would be nice to take a look at your exahust
yes i have a cat, my problem was with my tune i was running way to rich, but they still put me on the rollers
my exhaust was not the problem

Old 11-10-2005, 05:17 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: babybabi23
Why cant I get the emissions cleaner on my 98 a4 quattro
Three emissions gases are tested: carbon monoxide (CO), hydrocarbons (HC), and oxides of nitrogen (NOx). These are tested on low idle, high idle, and, if possible, on the dynamometer. (AWD cars require a high-cost 4-wheel dynamometer, which very few smog test stations have.)

On which emissions were you high? Running too rich will tend to boost both CO and HC, whereas burning oil will boost HC.

The best way to "cram" for a smog test is to replace spark plugs and wires, air filter, etc. and to run some Techron through the fuel system, unless you are already using high-grade high-detergent gasoline, such as (among others) Shell V-Power or Chevron Supreme.

Old 11-10-2005, 05:24 PM
Zombie Defense Force

i failed CO by i think 4x the legal limit and HC by 3x legal limit